• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to HTC One XL

I dont know if I explained properly what I want to do. I dont want google to grab all my contacts,pics and music from my computer.

I want the contacts in the phone to be put on the computer so I can edit the, as there area few doubles, and it has already picked every ones emails whether I know the phone number or not. I really dont need everyones email address :(

Upvote 0
Hi Joody,

From reading your later posts, if that's all you need to do, then....

With your contacts on your screen, go menu > manage > de-duplicate contacts

Then menu > settings > Only with phone number.

This will get rid of your doubles and your pure email contacts...

Would this help you at all?

I have not yet seen my contacts on the screen Pat, that is what I am trying to do.

Upvote 0
I have now advanced a little further, got a msg on my phone which says -
Turn on wi-fi on your pc.
Find HC Portable Hotspot on the list of Wi-fi-networks.
Select HTC Portable hotspot and enter "******" in the security key field.
Start using the internet on your pc.

I have just checked Portable Wi-fi hotspot and am supposed to be looking for something similar on the computer (nothing there tho) Not sure what to do next.

Upvote 0
I did what you said Pat, don't know what it did, but the fact remains - as in this post

I have just checked Portable Wi-fi hotspot and am supposed to be looking for something similar on the computer (nothing there tho) Not sure what to do next.

Upvote 0
I dont know if I explained properly what I want to do. I dont want google to grab all my contacts,pics and music from my computer.

I want the contacts in the phone to be put on the computer so I can edit the, as there area few doubles, and it has already picked every ones emails whether I know the phone number or not. I really dont need everyones email address :(

Hi Joody,

If I'm reading this correctly, you simply want to have your duplicates and email address only contacts removed from your contacts. Is that correct?

If so, you don't need any software on your computer or any apps on your phone.

The instructions I provided were use within your stock software - with your contacts displayed on your phone screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks I have apparently done this, but I am still wanting to know how I can set up my contacts on the computer screen to work on them (edit) and not have to do it on my phone.

This is how far I got - and am stuck.

I want the contacts in the phone to be put on the computer so I can edit them.

Isn't this part of what I am supposed to be doing?

Upvote 0
WiFi Hotspot is something totally different, you don't need to be anywhere near that at all.

If you open the people app on your phone, hit menu, there should be an option to export to csv/SD Card? That will create a csv file which you can email to the gmail account associated with the phone and edit via your PC.

Reactions: patpending
Upvote 0
WiFi Hotspot is something totally different, you don't need to be anywhere near that at all.

If you open the people app on your phone, hit menu, there should be an option to export to csv/SD Card? That will create a csv file which you can email to the gmail account associated with the phone and edit via your PC.

When I open people-menu - the only choices I have are
delete contacts
send contacts
manage contacts
open account settings
settings
edit tabs
help

nothing about exporting.

Upvote 0
Look at the first posts of your thread, Joody.

There are described the two easiest ways, Google contacts or MyPhone Explorer.

If you don't like your contacts with Google in the cloud then you'd have a second try with MyPhone Explorer.

Good luck.

Harry
Sorry Harry, I am not familiar with this phone at all. I went to google on the phone, and it said "network error" try again. I think I need to be walked through :(

Upvote 0
Sorry Harry, I am not familiar with this phone at all. I went to google on the phone, and it said "network error" try again. I think I need to be walked through :(

Joody, no need to apologise. :)

Your best bet is probably MyPhoneExplorer. You'll need an app on your PC for that, and one on your phone too.

PC App: FJ Software Development
Phone App: MyPhoneExplorer

Install both, selecting all default options (On the PC app, DON'T select portable installation).

Open the app on your PC, You'll be presented with a screen that looks like the below:

MPE%2001.png

From there, click File -> Settings and in the box that pops up, make sure it looks like this:

MPE%2002.png

Once it does, click OK.

Head to your phone, hit the MyPhoneExplorer Client icon, it should add an additional icon to your notification bar (I put a red square round it to make it obvious):

MPE%2003.png

Plug your phone in to your PC, go back to MPE on your PC and hit File -> Connect, you should see a progress bar and hopefully when it finishes, you should see a list of your phone contacts on screen to edit as you wish.

All make sense?

Reactions: Harry2
Upvote 0
I have just noticed your reply - will attend to it tomorrow. Since then, I have reset the phone twice, I have another very odd problem. When I bought the phone (brand new) some 14 days ago, I selected Scene out of Personalisation - it was a pale green picture of water and scenery. When I first re-set the phone, that particular picture went missing (even tho it came with the phone). Telstra told me to reset again, and still that picture is not among the others. How or where could I get this pic? We actually found the same pic on a display HTC so they knew what I was looking for. Could I get it from HTC?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones