1. Android Forums is going down for maintenance at 6:00PM Central time. We apologize for any inconvenience! Shouldn't be down too long.
  2. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root New to ROOT. Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sumint620, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sumint620

sumint620 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker since I got my Eris back in March, but have recently decided to ROOT my phone and have some questions. I have an Eris with the 2.1 OTA and am following this tutorial (I'm on a Mac):

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/125436-detailed-leak-root-tutorial.html

I'm using engtools3.zip which, from my understanding, only enables ROOT. I don't want to flash a ROM at this point. What I want to be able to do is:
    • Make a backup of my current phone (done through Nandroid as I'm rooting, correct?)
    • Continue using Launcher Pro
    • Overclock (slightly, to make performance snappier)
    • Change the lockscreen (Froyo or Eclair)
      Is it possible to just use the unlock pattern?
    • Change the notification shade to be somewhat transparent
    • And change the notification bar to look like Invisible Lockscreen Pattern for Android
    • Possibly change the boot animation, although definitely not necessary

In order to do all this will I have to make a custom ROM? I hope this isn't to much to ask, especially as it's my first post. I just really haven't a clue to what I'm doing. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    sumint620,

I hit a few of your questions above...glad you've already done your homework! Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome (almost) to root.

eljitto likes this.