1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to root. Wonderin what everyone is doin w it.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rollincoal420, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    New to having root access. Just wondering what everyone is doin with it. Just to get some ideas on new ways to enjoy the phone and my new.found freedom. You know, apps, roms, whatever. curious how well its workin for you, what its.doing for you,pros and cons, stuff like that.

Advertisement

2. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

Free tethering, removal of the bloat, Titanium Backup, controlling what starts at boot, etc. I don't do much with root access but what I have done has made this phone so much better than if I didn't have root.

3. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    I tried using both barnacle and opengarden and couldn't get either of them to work. Which tether and boot animation apps work good? I was looking at boot animation apps yesterday and most of them say will not work on some phones. Just not lookin to download something that won't work and have uninstall.

4. trparky

None

I haven't tried any boot animation stuff yet so I don't really know.

As for tethering, try Wifi Tether. You will have to side-load it. Once you load it go into the settings and set the Device Profile to Samsung Fascinate and you'll be able to use it in Wifi Infrastructure Mode, meaning you won't have to use AdHoc networking.

5. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    No problem. Just one thing, whats involved with "side loading" and if I change it to a facinate, whats that going to do with the rest of my apps and such? & I have no idea what the adhoc means .

Sorry, I'm still very green at this, just trying to learn as much as I can

6. trparky

None

Side Loading is the act of installing an app not from the Marketplace. When you download the APK file and activate it it will tell you that you don't have permission and it will take you to a menu to activate the permission to do so, namely the ability to install from unknown sources.

Changing the Device Profile to Samsung Fascinate only effects the operation of WifiTether.

Let's put it this way, AdHoc is a PITA to work with; you don't want it. It involves making a wireless network on your computer and then connecting your phone to it. A real PITA to do.

Infrastructure Mode is what all home WiFi routers run in. You see SSID, you tell computer to connect to it, and you're done.

7. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok. I'm picking up what your putting down. I go to the link above, save it to my computer, then plug my phone into a usb on the back of the computer and copy the file to my sd card on the phone. Then when it launches on the phone, I change it in the settings for that app to a Fascinate. Correct?

Any experiences with root toolbox and similar apps? BusyBox? Some of the apps I was looking at required busybox.

8. trparky

None

Get this app at the Marketplace. Launch it, select Busybox 1.19.3, press Install. It will do the rest.

9. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    ok. I loaded it last night. justs didnt get a chance to do anything with it yet.