• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new to root!

MACHAK07

Jun 9, 2011
Hey guys, I just rooted my Droid x2 (im a newb lol) and have been messing around with some of the awesome root apps! Well, I'm learning still....and was wondering about roms and some of the downloads I could do now. First off, what is a ROM on Android? Is that like launcherpro? Where you can customize your phones appearance?

Hey guys, I just rooted my Droid x2 (im a newb lol) and have been messing around with some of the awesome root apps! Well, I'm learning still....and was wondering about roms and some of the downloads I could do now. First off, what is a ROM on Android? Is that like launcherpro? Where you can customize your phones appearance?

No, Launcher Pro is a home launcher. It's an app that runs when you hit the home button. If you look at your system apps, there is an app called Home. That's the default launcher. There are a bunch of different home launchers you can install to give your home screen a different look and feel. Here's a big list of them.

A ROM is an operating system. So custom ROMs can make drastic changes to your phone. They can totally bork your phone up if you're not careful, forcing you to install the stock ROM and wiping your phone back to right-out-of-the-box condition. Thus the reason you always read "not responsible for phone damage" and "backup your phone" in most every guide.

Reactions: MACHAK07
Upvote 0
Oh okay gotcha makes sence lol :cool:
now, what kind of ROMs are out there? I'd imagine there are hundreds lol and to install one what will I need to have/know?

No, Launcher Pro is a home launcher. It's an app that runs when you hit the home button. If you look at your system apps, there is an app called Home. That's the default launcher. There are a bunch of different home launchers you can install to give your home screen a different look and feel. Here's a big list of them.

A ROM is an operating system. So custom ROMs can make drastic changes to your phone. They can totally bork your phone up if you're not careful, forcing you to install the stock ROM and wiping your phone back to right-out-of-the-box condition. Thus the reason you always read "not responsible for phone damage" and "backup your phone" in most every guide.

Upvote 0
Oh okay gotcha makes sence lol :cool:
now, what kind of ROMs are out there? I'd imagine there are hundreds lol and to install one what will I need to have/know?

I try to keep the Custom X2 ROMs sticky in the All Things Root subforum up to date. I believe all of them are on XDA these days. If you're going to flash a ROM, make sure you read the entire post carefully so you understand what you're about to do. And if you're flashing to a different version of Android (2.3.4, 2.3.5, ect.) you'll really need to use a computer program called RSD to flash to the correct version first , or update your ROM in the case of 2.3.5 ROMs.

Upvote 0
Nice! Thank you! Ill check it all out! You seem like you've done this quite a few times :D lol

I try to keep the Custom X2 ROMs sticky in the All Things Root subforum up to date. I believe all of them are on XDA these days. If you're going to flash a ROM, make sure you read the entire post carefully so you understand what you're about to do. And if you're flashing to a different version of Android (2.3.4, 2.3.5, ect.) you'll really need to use a computer program called RSD to flash to the correct version first , or update your ROM in the case of 2.3.5 ROMs.

Upvote 0
Well, i was looking and the eclipse and atrix looks like very popular choices for the X2. I noticed there was a update with the eclipse making it kinda glitchy?

Yeah, every time a new ROM or version is released I'm on it. I'm having issues getting the naked ROM to flash for me, though. I really want to get it up and running.

The 2 ROMs that seem to work best for me are Liberty and Molten. Alien and Eclipse are both good ROMs, but I've recently found that to really get everything to run right on the 2.3.5 ROMs, I had to start from stock 2.3.4, then run through all 4 of the 2.3.5 OTA updates. This got my Eclipse running smooth (finally).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones