1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to rooting and have few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droid747, Oct 1, 2011.

1. droid747

droid747 Member
    Nov 24, 2009

Nov 24, 2009
    I have never rooted my phone before, but I am not scared to do it or anything. Just not sure if I want to root yet but I had a few questions in case I do.

First off, my thunderbolt is on the original stock software, pre MR1 update. I never updated to MR1 cause of all the issues and when MR2 was released, I declined it as my phone was working perfectly except for the slow gps lock which I didn't mind as I have a garmin gps that I use over my phone.

First question is does the nandroid backup backup the kernal along with the stock rom I am currently running when I run the backup?

Second, I know nandroid backups do not backup the radios, how do I backup my original radios as I get awsome 3g and 4g speeds on them and would like to be able to go back to them if I decide to revert back to my stock 2.2.1 rom if I don't like gingerbread as much.

Third, what is the best method to root an original pre MR1 thunderbolt. I would like the ooption to remove the root if I ever had to send in my phone for warranty work.

Thanks for your time looking at this thread.