1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to rooting, help with finding the right ROM.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nochance, Feb 20, 2011.

1. nochance

nochance Newbie
    None

May 25, 2010
    Total noob here...

Last night I downloaded ADW Ex, and Beautiful Widgets. I set the icon dock to 5, with my app button in the middle. I also renamed a bunch of shortcuts. Wow, what a difference over Sense. It's so much cleaner!

So this lead me on a journey to clean up all the other things Sense. Then it struck me, why not root it.

I want to remove all remnants of HTC Sense and Sprint bloatware, and return to what it most likely stock 2.2 (really haven't seen a stock setup). BUT I like the options that ADW/BW give me to make tweaks here and there. Is CM 6.1 for me? I'd try CM 7, but I'm reading some people have GPS issues.

Advertisement

2. BigPapaBang

BigPapaBang Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    The hardest part is rooting itself. Switching roms is so easy, you can actually try them all! Different roms suit different people so flash a couple and see which one you like best. I'm currently using koni's elite series I but I'm gonna give the series II beta a whirl as soon as i get out of bed.

3. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Follow the Rooting for Dummies guide stickied at the top of the Forum and you will be rooted in no time. Read through the procedure and the steps following rooting and it will tell you how to make your nandroid backup and has a link to an XDA list of current roms. Just make sure that after you root, you make a nandroid backup. Also make one before you make any changes to your phone in case there is a problem or you don't like the change so you have a good version to go back to. you will be an addict like the rest of us in no time ;)

4. justa4door

justa4door Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Health Insurance
    East Otto, New York
    I'm also in the same boat ... I want to root just for wireless but I don't care if I keep stock programs .. I also want to have Pandora and slacker .. is there a way that I can root with unevoked(or what ever the name is ) .. I have searched the forms and I also dont want to read threw the 1500 posts on the root for dummies

Sorry for the mini hijacking but it sounded like you were in the same boat

5. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    It is not necessary to sort through the posts. Follow the directions in the first post and you will be rooted in no time. you do not need to flash a rom afterwards as you will be able to run rooted apps like wifi tether for root users. Pandora and Slacker are usable I believe rooted or not.

justa4door likes this.
  6. madflasher

madflasher Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    fresh roms are close to stock, you can hardly go wrong with a fresh rom. he also has a lot of the sprint apps removed or removable. also very stable.

depends on what you would like out of the rom like speed, stability, battery..

7. nochance

nochance Newbie
    None

May 25, 2010
    Well I'm rooted! I tried out cm7, but it's a little buggy for me at the moment, but it was sweet. So I ended up running cm6.1 and I love it. Exactly what I wanted. Now my only questions are about the wifi and GPS icons. Both features work, but I only get the GPS icon when I'm in Google Maps. I've also been connected to wifi with no icon. Is this working as intended? No big deal seeing how I can just drag down and check. But my friend has the LG Ally and he's got the icons and quick menu pulldown.

8. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I actually tried CM7 for a week and ultimately hated losing WiMax and dealing with the bugs. I'm back to Sense with ADW over it and want to find out how to delete Sense and other Sprint bloatware. Root Explorer?

9. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    There are plenty of Sense Roms out there without the bloatware. Are you back to running the Sprint stock rom?

10. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

Yep, I restored a nandroid I created right after rooting. Deleted bloatware using Root Explorer, including Sense, and running ADW. Runs just as fast as CM7 and now I have WiMax.
    As soon as they get the bugs completely sorted out with WiMax on CM, I might go back. But if I'm paying for this, you better believe I'm going to take advantage of it. For those not living in a 4G area, I can see why it would be no loss, though.

11. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    If you want to go stock i would suggest CM7, it does have gps issues but unless you need your exact location you should be good. If you are looking for an optimized Sense I would suggest you try Kings Ultra Unleashed R2

Tags: