1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to rooting - Please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dillinger, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have finished successfully rooting my 2.3.3 Android, switched over to the Amon Ra recovery system and am starting to get my feet wet.. I have a few questions if I may.

I still have clockwork mod on my SD card with backup files. Is it safe to take those off now that I have Amon Ra?

As for the Amon Ra/nandroid backup.. It is in the neighborhood of 400+ MB. Does that need to stay on the phone or can I move the backup file to my PC?

As far as ROMs I have yet to flash one although I am about to put on MikG v3.0 rom shortly. It seems to be very popular and Sense based. I know that the CM7 mod seems to also be very popular with android devices too. For now I think I am going to stay away from touching the kernal however.

One of the main reasons I wanted to root, like many here, was to get the benefits of using a WiFi hotspot. Are there other immediate noticeable benefits? (ie better performance, battery life etc?) because to be honest as it stands I can see all that much of a difference yet, but like I said, I am just getting my feet wet. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yes you can delete clockwork mod folder as you have amon ra now. and yes nandroid backups are pretty big so it is always a good idea to have a copy on your desktop as well as on the cloud like dropbox.

i would not however, remove the nandroid backup. i always keep 2 nandroid backups. it is usually one that i like and one that i just made. and you do not have to backup wimax all the time. all you need is one saved and kept safe somewhere other then your card.

and mikg 3.0 is a great rom to start out with.

and yes performance and battery life is one of the many benefits of rooting. but you can also customize your phone like change the htc splash screen to something else or you can change the bootanimation from sprint's. you can partition your card so that you can move the apps to your card. i have a 16g class 10 card with over 160 apps on it and i still have 200mb left on the phone.

dustwun77 likes this.
  3. Dillinger

Dillinger Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Connecticut
    I am now starting to look into some of the new themes / bootloaders. Are there any specifically I need to look for using the MikG ROM?

4. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Themes are usually rom specific so you will need to make sure you get them for the version you are running. Mik's site has a bunch of them and some are posted here as well. I have Pink, Teal, Neon Green, and Blue for MikG 3.0. Nick1313 has an Orange and a Purple one. I believe he is making a Cardinal Red one at this time as well. Most theme posts have screen shots to give you an idea of what they look like.

ocnbrze and andygu3 like this.
  5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    My mik theme of choice is Auto-Wired. It's pretty cool. I posted a screenshot in the MYSETUP thread, first post.

ocnbrze and andygu3 like this.
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thank you guys so much for all of the input.. I have another question now in regards to the MikG 3.0 ROM (of course!)

It seems like since I have had my phone rooted and I have been using this ROM my battery drains EXTREMELY quick when browsing / using apps. In the course of loading a webpage and checking 3-4 pages the battery dropped about 5%. Any idea if this is normal or what can be done? (I am using the stock kernal from the phone as mentioned above)

EDIT: I should note when not actively using the phone I haven't noticed a big change.

7. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Probably not much you can do other than experimenting with different kernels or recalibrating the battery.

8. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    I re-calibrated my battery after flashing my first kernel, should I do it after each kernel? How often does it need to be done?

Tags: