1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to Rooting, some Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Darkmatter81, May 25, 2011.

1. Darkmatter81

Darkmatter81 Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm new here and have some questions about rooting.

I could have searched the forums for answers but like searching Google for specific answers it's a big place so I thought I will ask my own relevant questions. If they have been asked and answered already, feel free to skip this post, otherwise I appreciate all positive answers.

I currently own the original HTC Desire and waiting on a gingerbread update, I have a network branded phone from t-Mobile Uk and so know I will be waiting for long time before I get it. I would appreciate HTC providing an updated Sense UI, similar to the versions running on HTC Desire HD and S. In the event they don't I'd like to root my phone and also hopefully to be able to move more apps to SD as my space is VERY limited.

1. What tool do you use to back up your original ROM?

2. If I brick my phone do I completely lose the ability to restore the original ROM that was on it previously? In other words is the phone completely dead?

3. If I root the phone, does it mean that I can't run System update in the normal way again? Must my future updates come in the form more roots?

4. Do any HTC desire ROMs really give you more 'space' to store more apps? I only have 59 apps, not many big and I have 14M left and it has a problem letting me install more?

Once again, appreciate all positive feedback.

DarkMatter

Advertisement

2. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Leeds, UK
    I'm not the best person to be answering these as I'm looking for answers myself, what I can say though is what I've been told.

'read the sticky FAQ '
    I had a quick look and it is loaded with a million and one answers.

Apparently, there is a small chance you can brick your phone, I think you can flash to the original Rom if you don't like it or need repairs but please don't quote me on that, like I said I too in looking for answers.

Edited to fix many typos. That's what I get for typing on the bus.

3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    As mentioned, the rooting FAQ is the best place to start.

Brick means just that. No use other than a paperweight / brick. People often call things that are not bricks "bricks", which confuses things. If you truely brick your phone, theres no fix, but you may often think you've bricked it but if its recoverable (most things are) then its not.

4. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Just one thing DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER FOR ANYTHING!!!

5. jaytrezza

jaytrezza Lurker
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Sorry for the newbie invasion, but i have some questions. I have one clicked rooted my g2x and flashed eagles blood Tom and a gingerbread. 2.3.3 Tom. Hen i horoscopes about phoneit still says i am froyo 2.2.2. What am i doing wrong? I have downloaded CPU master and rooted clock recovery mod. I can overclok to 1000mhz but g2x is dual core @ 1.2 ghz...what can i expect in performance enhancement and should i flash cyanide Ge
    n?

Sorry for typos too...

6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    go to the g2 section, its a different device and we dont want to provide wrong information

Tags: