1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root New to Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pardoned88, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Pardoned88

Pardoned88 Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    Hi.

I've just rooted my phone using the unrevoked3 method. Everything seems to have worked fine.

But I was wondering if there's anything else I need to add. I've read about maybe having to flash a new radio and things like that. Problem is - I've no idea what that means. Should I ever have to update the radio or anything? How will I know to update the ROM? Is there OTA update for them?

I'm using the Miui ROM. Version 0.9.30. My Baseband is 5.09.05.30_2. I've read that this is something to do with the radio...

Is there anything that I should install to improve this ROM or anything? Anything anyone would recommend me try adding for this ROM - like any different tweaks?

I'm grateful for any help regarding this because, as I said, I've no idea what any of that means. However, the Miui Rom is awesome! Battery lasts a lot longer than froyo, and it's a lot more fluid and it seems, generally, a lot more fun.

Cheers!

Advertisement

2. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    United Kingdom
    To upgrade to a new version of miui, all you have to do is flash the new zip.

To change to a different ROM, perform backups, do a factory reset and then flash a radio and the ROM. Some ROMs, like Defrost and OpenDesire have ota update functionality.

3. Pardoned88

Pardoned88 Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    Hi Jammy! Thanks for getting back to me.

So, all I need to do is get the update for Miui and just install it through something like ROM manager? I don't need to factory reset my phone or anything - or delete the old version of MIUI? How should I know that a new version has been released? Whenever I update can I safely delete the old zip file from my SD card?

By installing a new version I won't lose any of my data or have to set the phone up again? Should I ever need to wipe everything off the phone?

Also, how would I find out that I might need to update the radio? (what is that exactly?) Do the ROMs not come with a preinstalled radio? I'm always seeing people with different baseband numbers to mine - does that matter?

If I need to update the radio do I need to do it before installing a ROM? Or can I just do it after installing a ROM - if and when i need to.

I keep on seeing people phones on here with cool status bar battery symbols and different colored wifi symbols. Can I add things like this on MIUI. Or are those additions linked to whatever ROMs you install?

Is there anything I should never do when installing different ROMs? Likewise - is there anything I should always do?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for all the questions. As I said - I'm not really clued up on what I'm doing here.

Cheers

4. Pardoned88

Pardoned88 Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    BUMP!

Anyone?

5. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Technical Support
    Liverpool, Merseyside