• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new to rooting

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011
i just bought a Droid x off of Ebay for 80 bucks and it's gonna be my practice rooting phone. I've never rooted before and i couldn't muster up the courage to try it on my Bionic. i was hoping you guys could just give me a few tips and things i should know before rooting? any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Search for Petes Motorola Root Tools v1.06... its an all in one root/unroot tool that works wonders as long as you're running .602-.605 I believe (system version found in "about phone" under settings). Then you can use Rom Manager to flash CWM recovery and then all you need to do is pick which ROM is for you and flash away. There are tons of them to choose from, Liberty 3 v2.0 gets my vote but that's just me.

Just a side note, if you use Pete's to root your phone and you get infamously stuck at the bootloader on reboots just unplug your phone from the computer during all three reboots until the boot animation comes up and you'll be good to go. Hope this helps.

Reactions: New Rising
Upvote 0
Search for Petes Motorola Root Tools v1.06... its an all in one root/unroot tool that works wonders as long as you're running .602-.605 I believe (system version found in "about phone" under settings). Then you can use Rom Manager to flash CWM recovery and then all you need to do is pick which ROM is for you and flash away. There are tons of them to choose from, Liberty 3 v2.0 gets my vote but that's just me.

Just a side note, if you use Pete's to root your phone and you get infamously stuck at the bootloader on reboots just unplug your phone from the computer during all three reboots until the boot animation comes up and you'll be good to go. Hope this helps.

The Rom Manager that's downloadable from the market? I always hear people talking about Titanium Backup, will I be needing this?

Upvote 0
Yea you can download rom manager from the market. Titanium backup requires root access to use, but it is very useful if you want to back up all your apps and data when switching between roms... and its also good because you have those backups saved on your SD card in case bad things happen. The paid version has a few perks, but you can still get everything done you need to with the free one... just takes a little longer to restore.

Upvote 0
Another thing you can do to save yourself a few bucks is, because you mention having a Bionic, you can sign into your Bionic Google account on your DX and install a few apps you already paid for.

I've never tinkered with the Bionic but from what i've seen it's pretty close to the DX so most, if not all, of the apps for the Bionic should be compatible on the DX. I'm not sure if this is concidered stealing because that Google account is on your Bionic and not your DX but i've never seen this mentioned on here before.

I'll leave it up to the mods to judge this one.

Upvote 0
Another thing you can do to save yourself a few bucks is, because you mention having a Bionic, you can sign into your Bionic Google account on your DX and install a few apps you already paid for.

I've never tinkered with the Bionic but from what i've seen it's pretty close to the DX so most, if not all, of the apps for the Bionic should be compatible on the DX. I'm not sure if this is concidered stealing because that Google account is on your Bionic and not your DX but i've never seen this mentioned on here before.

I'll leave it up to the mods to judge this one.

it is in no way stealing if s/he owns both accounts, anything purchased on the market is his/hers, until google removes them from the market

Upvote 0
I wasn't sure of that. I know your Google account is yours no matter the device you have and after purchasing the app it belongs to you. I just wasn't sure if you can use said paid app on multiple devices at the same time.

I figured it was ok to do cause I have a friend that liked the home replacement app I was running, SPB shell 3d, so i signed into my Google account on his phone and installed it on his phone. It didn't give me any trouble doing so, so I guess it's ok as long as you bought the app.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I'm a complete noob when it comes to rooting, that's why im anxious to learn everything when my DX comes in. So that link with all the roms, do i just plug my phone into my computer then click on one of them and it will download to my phone or something? I'm at work so I can't really do much right now.

Upvote 0
You download your ROM(s) of choice, plug the phone in, enable USB mass storage mode so you can drag and drop files onto your SD card and place the .zip of the ROM(s) on the root of your SD card... just straight away on E:\ or whatever drive it comes up on, don't put it in a folder. Leave the .zips intact, don't unzip them. I used rom manager to flash recovery because it just makes things easier, make sure you flash it 3+ times to make sure it sticks.

Then root, boot into recovery (also can be done with rom manager), wipe ALL userdata / dalvik cache / cache... multiple times just to be sure. Then select flash .zip, scroll down to the one you want and flash. NOTE: Do make a nandroid backup of whatever you're on in case of bad flash you can just restore the nandroid and its like it never happened... this goes for stock->rom or rom->rom, its very nice to have backups, trust me.

Upvote 0
Every time i turn my phone on the bootstrap recovery comes up first, is this how it should be when i boot my phone up for now on? Also, since im all set on liberty if i do the back up option in the bootstrap recovery will it save everything im on now? I'm afraid if i do it i might lose something, that sounds contradicting but i just want to make sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones