1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to Samsung Fascinate!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skidoo03, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Skidoo03

Skidoo03 Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Hey all I am picking up a Fascinate today :D and I was just wondering if you all could give me some info on it. I am going to root it just like I did my incredible but I've noticed there are some different terms I've never seen before. I was just wondering what the "odin" is and also "ec09" and what method would you all use to root it and which roms do you recommend? I've been reading about a "Glitch" kernel that is supposed to be good too?
    Thanks in advance and can't wait to pick it up! :D

Also what is the talk about Voodoo and I think voodoo roms?
    Thanks again!

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings skidoo03,

If at all possible, I would try one of the newer phones. I had/have a fascinate. It's a hell of a phone spec wise, but be warned there are a slew of issues with it.

The GPS is touch and go at best, mostly go. The phone in default setup is prone to get laggy. There was a dropped call issue going on when I switched phones, this may have been cured with the over the air update samsung did.

Thats not to say it is a horrible experience always. The screen is choice. There aren't many out that can rival it. The sound hardware in the phone is top notch as well. To get the phone to its maximum potential, you will have to root it and install a different rom.

The available roms and kernels for the phone are large, but the support of the developers and most users has dropped to almost nil.

If you are set on getting this phone, take a look at the stickies at the top of this sub forum. There is a wealth of information there to dig through. Unfortunately, there just aren't going to be a ton of people to help you with any issues you might have. like I said earlier, most of the developers have moved onto other projects.

Before you do anything, make sure you've read, read and read some more. The fascinate is a tough phone to truly brick, but you can make a mess of things easily if you jump into rooting it without any understanding what your doing.

Also be aware that the fascinate is EOL (End of Life), or close to it. That means support from Verizon and samsung themselves is probably going to be spotty at best, if at all.

Good luck

3. Skidoo03

Skidoo03 Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Ok thank you very much for all of that. The main reason I am getting it it because I just want something new and am not due till next December for an upgrade. Also I'm getting it very cheap from a friend. I've currently got an Incredible and have rooted it and installed many ROMS on it. Thanks again for the info!