1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to smartphones & android - any advice or suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by iPlod, Dec 13, 2011.

1. iPlod

iPlod Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi people, i'm new here, to smartphones and android.

My current phone is a Nokia 5310 (remember that one??) - and I'm hoping to get a new smartphone soon-ish.

I'm finding it's easy getting carried away with bigger processors, larger screens, etc.

But really I just want a decent phone with the following please:
    - Great build quality,
    - Good/respectable battery life (I've done the research and it's not easy or to be expected)
    - A good and entertaining UI (especially for a newb)
    - A reasonable size screen (4.2" max)
    - Something that's not too outdated and may expect an update or two
    - A sim-free or pay-as-you-go budget up to

Advertisement

2. KTW

KTW Guest
    None
    HTC explorer: good phone in all respects, decent camera, excellent build quality as all HTC devices.
    processing power...ok. battery life should be good...say about 3 days. as for the UI...you can't find more beautiful than the HTC sense 3.5.

this is the phone I would recommend that would most suit your requirements.

iPlod likes this.
  3. iPlod

iPlod Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion KTW - just had a look but i'm not convinced tbh.

However, my concerns with the SE Xperia Ray was the small screen and the Explorer is smaller still.

Plus, a few reviews have recommended the HTC Desire S as a better alternative.

4. KTW

KTW Guest
    None
    what are the main things you want in a phone ? as far as build quality...you can't go wrong with HTC. but out of the 3 you suggested...go for desire S or perhaps desire HD. if not the amaze.

5. iPlod

iPlod Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks again KTW

Just realised the Amaze is in fact the Ruby in the UK and will more likely be out of my budget for the foreseeable future.

My main needs for a phone are:
    - a good battery life
    - expected update at least to ICS
    - Nothing bigger than 4.2"

I guess I need to have a play around in my local phone shop to see what fits - just building up a mental list of possible phones at the moment.

Any idea what manufacturers are good or poor at providing updates for phones?

I can see HTC produce a lot in a single year - will the Desire S expect an upgrade to Sense 3.5 or ICS?

6. KTW

KTW Guest
    None
    have you considered the HTC sensation? this phones speciality where it is unmatched is features.

7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Might want to consider the LG Optimus 2x. 4" Gorilla glass screen, dual-core CPU, 8G on-board storage + micro SD slot, removable battery, thin & light. We have 3 of the T-Mobile versions (G2x) in our family and they've been trouble-free. Plus LG is supposed to be testing a promised update to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. You could find one new or used.

iPlod likes this.
  8. KTW

KTW Guest
    None
    This phone may be to expensive. besides duel cores eat up battery life. only go for a duel core if you are an extreme user such as gaming or graphical engineering or else its just overboard.

if its updates you want then don't get a samsung, they are always very late.

HTC-best build quality of all android devices + attractive sense.

LG-Good value for money if its a duel core we are talking about.

Black berry-don't even think of getting a BB unless its BBM and BIS you want, they are extremely overpriced for what you get just like Sony.
    they constantly give problems and the build quality is terrible.

have you considered an LG optimus black ?

oh...and before you buy, you MUST look at the HTC desire HD before you even think of purchasing.

iPlod likes this.
  9. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

simply looking at the sceen size doesn't tell the size of the device - for instance the htc sensation (which i have and would recommend) is surprisingly small for a 4.3", because of the minimal bezel and the fact that the screen is 16:9, which is narrower than most

also, while the galaxy nexus has a 4.65" screen, it doesn't have the capacitive buttons that devices made for 2.3 or earlier do, since the buttons are in the os (meaning part of the screen) in 4.0

aka. go to a store and try which phone is suitably sized for you rather than going by the diagonal screen size

which phone's got the prettiest ui shouldn't be a concern since you can change everything about any of them with free launcher replacements anyway

iPlod likes this.