1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New to smartphones, question about 3G usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NinjaT, Apr 4, 2011.

1. NinjaT

NinjaT Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Hello, I have just ordered a Samsung I5800, which will be my first 3G phone, only thing is I currently dont have 3G on my contract. I wanted to know if anyone would be able to estimate the amount of 3G data usage an average phone using wifi for all surfing/intentional web use, and 3G just for whatever the phone does when I'm not looking (updating facebook, notifying me of emails etc) I hope you can understand what I mean, all help appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. aeroseek

aeroseek Newbie
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Master of Mayhem
    Hi, Verizon has a utility online which might help you out. Data Calculator

NinjaT likes this.
  3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    It is always best to overestimate useage the first few months than to underestimate. If you can choose 1, 2, or 3 GB and the tools your used or you think you will only need 1 go with 2. If you will be on wifi most the time and don't plan on downloading may apps off wifi I would think you will be less than 2.

NinjaT likes this.
  4. NinjaT

NinjaT Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    ah, ok. I was hoping to get away with under 100mb a month lol, is this ridiculous? If I use the 3g only to update the weather and notify me of facebook and emails etc (not open or download anything), am I even correct in thinking 3g is used for these features?

Thanks

5. Man-el

Man-el Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    I only use 3G for reading the news, updating the weather, replying emails and using Google Talk. And I have a weekly 25Mb contract which is more than enough. As long as you don't do video streaming or download email attachments, I believe 100mb a month will be just fine.
    But it will probably depend on the amount and type of apps you install.
    Also, I use APNdroid, a free app that allows me to shut down the internet access whenever I want. So, that helps keeping the amount of data under control.
    Hope this was helpful.

6. j0nb0y

j0nb0y Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    i agree, as long as you don't use 3g for youtube or spotify or any streaming service and you don't download large attachements then you should be fine with 100 mb just for background syncing of social networks and email. i have 1gb on my contract and do quite a bit of webbrowsing plus uploading of photos from phone to picasa (30 or so a month) and i've never had less than 700mb remaining at the end of the month. i'd reduce my data for a price cut if i wasn't already on the bottom rung contract for three uk.

7. afl777

afl777 Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Swadlincote Derbyshire
    I have 500MBs available for the month, and it's my first month with the contract so I was concerned what I would use.....so I've been keeping a check on it through my online account.

I have been on 2G all the time cos on 3G I lose the phone signal a lot.....2G works fine.

I've download loads of emails, done quite a lot of forum browsing and generally connecting to the net to have a nosey about with it being my first phone with interent access.

My bill is due today and I have 472+ MBs remaining that I haven't used.

This is something I found when I was trying to work out how much MBs I would need, cos I hadn't got a clue even what a MB was or what it would do.

1MB = 100 emails without attachments.
    or 1200 WAP pages
    or 20 web pages

Hope that helps.
    Ang x

8. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Yeah I agree, I use the internet for getting sports updates, emails using k-9 and random internet pages and IM like LiveProfile. I use droidwall to disable any other background sync that may occur on 3G. I also use wifi a lot though. When I'm at home or at school wifi is on, which is about 70% of my time. I've only used 15mb/month max! Another one that'll use a lot of usage is the Maps application if you haven't stored the maptiles to your sd card for offline usage.

9. drbrainsol

drbrainsol Member
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Student
    London
    speaking of which... How do you do that? Does the maps app do it automatically when you plot a course? Or do you have to do it manually? :eek:

10. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Well, I use a different application called rMaps. You can download the maptiles using Map Atlas Creator on your computer and move it to your memory card. I never got it working with Google Maps though!