1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New to tablets, new to Nexus 7, help appreciated

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Bert Coules, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

First of all, since I'm posting this on December 25th, a very happy and peaceful Christmas to everyone.

I'm having a problem with my brand-new Nexus 7, which I'm trying to set up here at home: it's detected my router (and reported the signal strength as Excellent) but it won't make a connection: onscreen messages rotate between Connecting, Obtaining IP address, Saved, secured with WEP, and Avoided poor internet connection.

Not only that, but I can't escape from the Select WiFi screen. Does the Nexus 7 have to have established an internet connection before it moves to its home screen?

Many thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Hello and welcome to Android Forums, Bert! :)

There may have been something corrupt in your initial setup. Give this a try. First, reboot your router. Let it start up completely. Then on the N7 wifi screen long press your home router connection and choose the "forget" option. Once you've done that you can search for networks and try to connect again.

You don't need to be connected to WiFi to complete the setup, but you won't be able to register the device until you do.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

Thanks for that. I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work: after "forget" the N7 picked up the network again and prompted for the key but once that was done it still couldn't connect: the same cycle of messages just kept appearing.

Edited to add:

Well. I just tried again, and this time the N7 showed two instances of my WiFi network. I tried connecting to the new entry - and it worked! A Christmas miracle...

Thanks to all for the help.

Bert

4. lunatic59

Okay ... let's get some more information. What type of router are you using? You might try turning off all security on the router to see if the N7 will connect that way. Once you get the connection set, then you can re-enable it.

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

Ah, your post must have overlapped with my edit. The problem seems to have solved itself, somehow.

Bert

6. lunatic59

Ah-ha! I'll bet your router was setup with a guest account that uses the same ssid. In any case, glad you got your problem sorted out.

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

Yes, that could well have been it. But as you say, all's working now - and I powered down the tablet and restarted it just to make sure it would pick up the connection again, and it did. A happy Yuletide ending.

Thanks again to all who chipped in with comments.

Bert

8. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

My issue is that two different neighbors have the same router as me, so if I click on the wrong 'Netgear' I get the same glitch you did.

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

I did briefly wonder about that, but I know that no-one else within wireless range has the same gear as me, and that wasn't really likely to have changed.

10. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Re the router, go to the admin page, and change the SSID to something, ANYTHING, but the default. default SSID is like a welcome mat to War Drivers (mobile WiFi hackers) Also set a strong password for the Admin (Some Uppercase, some Lowercase, at least one numeric and at least one punctuation/special character). to be decently secure, a password should be at least ten characters long. To make it memorable, choose two short words and add numbers/other characters around them.

For WiFi security, you should use WPA2-PSK (Pre-Shared Key) definitely not WEP as it can be cracked in under an hour. and PLEASE not open WiFi as you could be held responsible for any illegal activity carried out via your IP Address.

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules Lurker

Davdi, thanks for the advice. I'd never heard of "war drivers" and frankly I think the chances of that happening where I live are virtually zero, but I suppose that's what most people tend to believe.

Bert

12. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Bert,

Glad to see we were able to assist with the issues you were having!

If you have anymore feel free to contact us as we are always happy to assist :)