• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to the Droid X

michaelkahl

Android Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2009
Well, I just traded my Droid Incredible + Accessories for a Droid X last night. Reason's for the trade?
1. 4.3" screen
2. Battery life
3. HDMI
4. Powermat accessory
5. Build Quality

I was hoping someone can help me get situated. I'm looking into rooting my phone, not sure I care about custom ROM's. I did dabble in a bunch with my Incredible but at the end of the day I was happiest with Virtuous which was a pretty basic ROM with bloatware removed. So if I can get root, remove bloatware like cityID, and install wireless tether I'd be a happy man :)
One question I have is, what is this talk of SBF? This is not a term I read up on in the Incredible forums, so please forgive my ignorance.

Well, I just traded my Droid Incredible + Accessories for a Droid X last night. Reason's for the trade?
1. 4.3" screen
2. Battery life
3. HDMI
4. Powermat accessory
5. Build Quality

I was hoping someone can help me get situated. I'm looking into rooting my phone, not sure I care about custom ROM's. I did dabble in a bunch with my Incredible but at the end of the day I was happiest with Virtuous which was a pretty basic ROM with bloatware removed. So if I can get root, remove bloatware like cityID, and install wireless tether I'd be a happy man :)
One question I have is, what is this talk of SBF? This is not a term I read up on in the Incredible forums, so please forgive my ignorance.
The 2.2 sbf is a file you should download if your planning to root your phone and make any modifications. You can use the sbf in a program called rsd lite 4.8 to flash your phone back to stock (along with a factory reset) incase you brick your phone or have to return it for warranty service.

Upvote 0
The 2.2 sbf is a file you should download if your planning to root your phone and make any modifications. You can use the sbf in a program called rsd lite 4.8 to flash your phone back to stock (along with a factory reset) incase you brick your phone or have to return it for warranty service.
Thanks, I was kinda thinking it was something like this. I remember having to take similar measures with my iPhone 3gs when I did a jailbreak. Let's pray I don't brick my phone ;) but in the off chance I do I'll make sure I have this completed first.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I was kinda thinking it was something like this. I remember having to take similar measures with my iPhone 3gs when I did a jailbreak. Let's pray I don't brick my phone ;) but in the off chance I do I'll make sure I have this completed first.

Droid X bootstrap will let you make backups of your phone setup, and titanium backup will let you back up apps and their data (restoring is much easier in the paid version, especially if you have lots of apps) just incase you decide to have some fun with themes and roms and don't want to start from scratch each time.

Upvote 0
You are definitely much less "innocent" than I am. :rolleyes:

Someone please, what in the heck is:

• rooting a phone (as in "I'm looking into rooting my phone")
  • a jailbreak (as in "when I did a jailbreak")
  • bricking a phone (as in "Let's pray I don't brick my phone")
  • ROM (as in "not sure I care about custom ROM's")
  • SBF (as in "what is this talk of SBF")

Upvote 0
You are definitely much less "innocent" than I am. :rolleyes:

Someone please, what in the heck is:

• rooting a phone (as in "I'm looking into rooting my phone")
  • a jailbreak (as in "when I did a jailbreak")
  • bricking a phone (as in "Let's pray I don't brick my phone")
  • ROM (as in "not sure I care about custom ROM's")
  • SBF (as in "what is this talk of SBF")

Rooting is gaining super user access to your phone, so you can do things with it beyond what motorola or Verizon allow, such as installing custom roms and themes, free wireless tether. Ability to use application only for root users, etc.

Bricking is what happens if you make a mistake in the modification process (adding a theme or rom) and the phone won't turn on, rendering it useless. If there is a full sbf (restoration file) out for the rom you are using, then you can restore with that. There is a new leak that people are trying, now, that has no full sbf, so many folks are running into trouble. They are perma bricked.

Jailbroken is an iPhone term for being able to install apps outside of their app store and light theming, as I understand it.

Reactions: droidvirgin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones