• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to the forum? Say Hello :)

This is my second smartphone, that I got last month. The first was a Samsung gravity Smart and it was a piece of junk. Ran into low memory issues after loading about a half dozen apps on it, and saw on the Gravity forum that this was a common problem. Also the battery would run down in about 6 hours, despite a couple of battery saver apps I installed. Brought it back to T-mobile, had to pay a $50 restocking fee, and got the Exhibit 2 4G. Now I am actually happy that the Gravity was no good, since the Exhibit is a much better, faster, and more versatile phone. The battery life is twice as good as the Gravity. I love it, have installed a bunch of apps, and everything works perfectly. I paid about $300 for it at T-mobile with their Value Plan at $40 a month, which works for me. The only thing that bothered me was them insisting that I pay the restocking fee after I had the first phone only 6 days, before returning it.

Upvote 0
This is my second smartphone, that I got last month. The first was a Samsung gravity Smart and it was a piece of junk. Ran into low memory issues after loading about a half dozen apps on it, and saw on the Gravity forum that this was a common problem. Also the battery would run down in about 6 hours, despite a couple of battery saver apps I installed. Brought it back to T-mobile, had to pay a $50 restocking fee, and got the Exhibit 2 4G. Now I am actually happy that the Gravity was no good, since the Exhibit is a much better, faster, and more versatile phone. The battery life is twice as good as the Gravity. I love it, have installed a bunch of apps, and everything works perfectly. I paid about $300 for it at T-mobile with their Value Plan at $40 a month, which works for me. The only thing that bothered me was them insisting that I pay the restocking fee after I had the first phone only 6 days, before returning it.

The restocking fee is messed up, it's good you're happy with the exhibit ii though. I'll never go contract again.

Upvote 0
Hello! :)

I have not wanted a cellphone. I dig the technology, but I like my time to be MY time and not be beholden to some gadget where people can reach me 24/7/365. But the wife's been pestering me for years to get a cellphone.

So for Xmas she got me an iPad2 (wifi only). It is awesome! So many excellent applications; it has actually changed my life. And being an exploring type, I said "This should be able to be a phone" and I set about getting that done.

But there are deficiencies in my iPad2. The cameras are less than stellar, the storage is limited... and it's BIG. Not convenient, for example, when using Wunderlist (love that app!) to do the shopping.

Part of why my wife wants me to have a cell is because I do lots of long-distance bicycling, and in her imagination (and in reality) I could be hit by a careless driver any time. So she wants me, should that occur, to be able to call for help.

So when I saw the $200 deal with no contract on this Exhibit2 with its full feature set, I said "OK, this might finally be the deal". And it is! I have not inserted the SIM. Fortunately, even without that the phone will allow you to make an emergency call. Combined with Talkatone/GoogleVoice using wifi, I have all the telephony I need. Aside from that, it is essentially a small wifi-only Android tablet, an extension of my iPad. I will purchase the 32mb microSD card and put my music on it and use it as a USB drive. My basic apps/functionality list so far:

Talkatone
Google Voice
Wunderlist
MapMyRide
Calculator
Music player
Harmony Link Remote
AccuWeather
Slacker radio
Clinometer
news

I'm sure more apps will creep in as needed, but I sure won't be watching movies on the tiny screen or trying to read the NY Times there. And my work productivity stuff will stay on the iPad. Oh, and I won't be paying $600 a year to a cell provider. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones