1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to the Thunderbolt as of Sunday

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Danfish98, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Danfish98

Danfish98 Newbie
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    So I put my Ally to rest yesterday and upgraded to the Thunderbolt. My Ally was rooted and running Velocity (Trident rocks!) and that ROM really did wonders for the Ally. After seeing how fast the Thunderbolt is stock though, I find myself wondering if it's worth the risk of bricking it to go through the process of rooting. I always used the 1 click methods for the Ally and I never trusted myself to use the manual methods. Other than the obvious wireless tethering benefits and bloatware removal benefits, how much do the custom ROMs for the Thunderbolt improve things? Battery life seems to be just as good as it was for the Ally in that I can make it all day without needing to charge and I'll be at around 30ish% when I go to bed. Maybe I'm just being naive as the Ally certainly doesn't have stellar hardware. Is it worth the risk or should someone like me just stick with stock for now?

Advertisement

2. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Burbs of Chicago
    In my opinion, the Tbolt doesn't need anything to do wonders for it...it's a fantastic phone stock. However, some rom/kernel combos can extend your battery life, allow over-clocking (which seems to be like putting a blower on a Bugatti :D ) etc. It really depends on how you want your phone. I prefer to have as little crap on mine as possible, so root, CM7 (for now) is where I'm at.

The manual method of rooting is actually quite simple. Read the directions, then read them again while downloading the files, then read them again and once more before you do anything. Copy/paste the commands and your home free. As long as you take your time and make sure your doing everything as written, you'll be fine.

3. HTCThunderbolt

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Need one :(
    Concord NC
    If you can read on a 3rd grade level and can use Microsoft word you can root via ADB. Im running OMFGB.. Best rom for me.. I know it doesnt mean much but I get 3200 or higher on quadrant overclocking to 1.6

4. Danfish98

Danfish98 Newbie
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    I watched a video on the manual method and it doesn't look too bad really. Still debating doing it but it's not nearly as scary once you watch someone do it. Love the blower on a Bugatti comparison, humorous and apt!

5. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    the hardest part,honestly is getting adb set up and recognizing your phone :eek: once you get that far its all downhill from there :D

common things i see people get confused about:
    1)putting the exploits files in the right place. typically you will simply copy and paste the contents of "platoform tools" into the "tools" directory so you dont need to switch back and forth between them. once youve downloaded the root files,youll extract the "exploits" file,and copy and paste(or move,however you doit is fine) the files inside exploits to the "tools" directory. that way when you copy and paste the commands,the files are in the right spot to be found and pushed by the adb.
    2)PG05IMG file isnt found,and phone doesnt askt to update. only 3 reasons for this:1) sd carf NOT formatted FAT32 2)file not named correctly. must be exactly PG05IMG.zip. common error using windows is to type in the .zip. since windows automaticallyh adds and hides extensions,the file is not named "PG05IMG.zip.zip" :eek: if youre using windows just rename to "PG05IMG" 3) you put the file inside another folder. it has to be on the root(top level) of the sd card.
    3) after some steps adb doesnt see your phoneany more. unplugging the usb cord for several seconds,and moving it to different ports normally fixes this.

if i can think of any more ill add them :)

Danfish98 likes this.
  6. Danfish98

Danfish98 Newbie
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    Is the SD card formatted FAT32 out of the box or is that something I have to do?

7. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    on my TB i believe it was... but on my inc i believe it was FAT,but i got it used so someone may have changed it. just double check before you start rooting so that doesnt hold you up. just plug it in,put in disc drive mode,when it pops up on your pc, open a windows explorer window and right click on the removable drive that is your phone,and then click properties. if you find it to be somethin else,back up all the files to your pc,then reformat it(i just do it in the computer) and then move everything back.

if your card isnt FAT32,it will keep you from becoming rooted,since the phone will never find the PG05IMG files :eek:

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Android only reads SD cards formatted in FAT32, if the SD card is working on your phone, i.e. your phone can put stuff on the SD and get stuff from the SD then it is formatted in FAT32

9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010

My incredible was formatted FAT,and it read,wrote,flashed roms,etc just fine. I didnt even know it was just FAT until I tried to flash a recovery in hboot :eek:

While your statement may be accurate for the TB,I don't think it is for all android.

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

My statement is 90% true for all of android, the other 10% would be users who manually partitioned the SD card using SDext2, even then there would be some portion of the SD card as FAT32. While it may not be the most efficient use of the SD it is the "safest" for multiple rewrites to the SD card.

Disclaimer: The stats I have referenced in the above post were completely pulled out of my ass, the other parts are true

11. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    :thinking:

So how do you explain that my incredible read/wrote to the SD just fine without a FAT32 partion?

12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I am not aware of a file system that would just be FAT. It would need to be FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32.

On a FAT file system, what would the sector size be? Also what was the SD card size? If it was more than 4GB then it would not be able to be formatted in FAT16 if it was more than 32Mb then it would not be able to be formatted in FAT12.

13. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I can't answer that,it was quite some time ago. I was trying to install a recovery in hboot,and it wasn't finding the file. Plugged it in,right click on the drive that was the SD card,click properties, and that's what it said. I reformatted to FAT32 and my recovery installed just fine. I don't know if it defaulted to 12 or 16 with no designation, or how it became formatted that way,but it read/wrote fine and pb31img files were invisible. :eek:

My whole point is that just because the card is being read and wrote to may not mean a fat32 format.

Now I'm curious,I never gave it much thot before. looks like ill have to do some experimentz with SD cards when I get home ;)

14. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Weird, I don't think it would be FAT and less than FAT32 as the max drive size is limited, even FAT16 the max drive size is *usually* 2GB. I don't have SD cards to play with but sounds like some testing would be helpful.

By chance was there a swap partition on the SD? I know you were rooting when you had to format it but could the person who had it before you have rooted and put a swap partition on the SD then unroot without removing the partition?

For what it is worth here is a thread from the google nexus one forums Is FAT32 the only option? - Android Help

15. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    its very wierd,indeed. when it happened,i wasnt rooting,just installing a recovery via hboot,and the card in question was 16 gb. once i reformatted it,it was fine. no partitions,ive never been a fan of that. now that i know a lil more than what i did,i always format the card to a single FAT 32. back then,i just stuck the card in the phone :eek:

just so you know im not making it up or crazy, i got the original 2gb card that came with the incredible. stuck it in the cardreader,and heres what i saw,just now:
    [​IMG]

just plain old,FAT. so for shits and giggles,i put a recovery file onto it,renamed to "PB31IMG",put it back in the incrdible,and powered on into hboot. no file found. booted it back up,and am in the process of backing it up so i can reformat it to something else.

the incredible must do something wierd with it if you dont format it in a computer. maybe to discourage people from hboot flashing? i dunno,but it did the same thing to the original 2gb card,and the 16gb card i got for it.when i reformatted when my recovery wouldnt install,it stayed that way...it is still FAT32 in the incredible.

also,i stuck the 2gb card in my TB,checked it,still FAT. used astro and looked at all the files,opend up some pics and ringtones,it definately is reading the card.

so thats what i know so far :p

any ideas? :thinking:

Yeahha likes this.
  16. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    You got me stumped, after it is backed up you should try formatting in the TB and the Inc just to see if they format it in differently.

17. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    so i tried that... i erased the SD card,and then it wouldnt mount :eek: i put it into the pc to format it and this is what i got:
    [​IMG]
    hmm FAT is the default... so i click on the options arrow...
    [​IMG]

picked FAT32 and then it mounted back up in the TB and im able to use it. note theres no options for FAT12 or 16:thinking:

*shrug* whatever the difference is between FAT and FAT32 it makes IMG files invisible to HTC bootloader,lol

18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

I didn't think 12 or 16 would be an option as they were both obsolete by the time windows 95 came out, if you had a working windows 3.1 machine then you could format to 16 if you could get it to see the sd card which would be an accomplishment in itself

19. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    The only thing I can think of is that FAT32 can move the root directory physically on the device, so there may be some quirk about accessing the root directory in something as primitive as HBOOT.

scotty85 likes this.
  20. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I think I figured it out. The SD card you have is less than 4GB it is formatted in FAT16 by default. For some reason it just shows FAT. If you were to put in a SD card that is larger than 4GB I would bet the default would be FAT32 and FAT would not even be an option. With a smaller sector size you actually get more available space for data formatted in FAT16 than FAT32 but there is a limit on how large the volume can be on FAT16 (and FAT32 for that matter but we have not hit the 2TB volume size on SD that would be the breaking point)

scotty85 likes this.