• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new to this...anybody willing to help =)

Bassnathc

Lurker
Oct 7, 2011
I've had my g2 for a few months now. Love it. But there's a few reasons I would love to have it rooted. But like I said...pretty new to this. I really don't want to brick this as I would not have a phone for awhile...and I'm not sure how safe this is?

But anyway if anybody is willing to answer some questions that would be great =D

Thanks for answering. Im on the newest i believe, 2.3.4. I mainly am concerned as to how safe it will be to root the phone, and once its rooted, how do updates go about and etc. It seems like it would make my phone much better though. But if I brick it, im screwed on a phone for awhile :(

Whats some major plus's to doing the root? Any downsides? And is that visionary tut thats sticky'd still up to date for 2.3.4?

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering. Im on the newest i believe, 2.3.4.
no problem. well you want to make sure that you are on this for sure

I mainly am concerned as to how safe it will be to root the phone, and once its rooted, how do updates go about and etc.

rooting the 2.3.4 is all command line with the android SDK tools. its was really easy for me since i know my way around command line anyways. i believe that the 2.3.4 was the last update that T-Mobile was going to issue for the G2 but IF you recieved an update it could possibly un-root your phone.

It seems like it would make my phone much better though. But if I brick it, im screwed on a phone for awhile

it will make your phone much better.
Whats some major plus's to doing the root? Any downsides? And is that visionary tut thats sticky'd still up to date for 2.3.4?
rooting your phone allows your to have superuser so you can go through your phone with no restrictions. add apps that require root, and just opens up a new world for you. some people experience random reboots and thing like that but those i believe are far and few inbetween the visionary app no loner works with 2.3.4 however there are a couple guides that work with doing with the downgrade to revert back to the froyo and a rooted 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 (i would go with the 2.3.3). thw 2.3.3 is just like 2.3.4 with ajust a few tweaks. if yiu want the 2.3.3 i will give it to you. just let me know (its prerooted as well)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your message and replys. Sorry it takes so long on these forums to get a reply, I actually got it rooted already, people in the G2 ROOT irc chat were very helpful! But yeah I love my phone so much more now. If anybody has any cool stuff they would like to share, email me, bassna87@gmail.com thanks!

Can you share with share with us how you did it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones