1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to this forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by williemazda, Apr 1, 2011.

1. williemazda

williemazda Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    Hi, name is Willie and want to thank the administrators and everyone for this great forum. First question, not that great in intros but here it goes. Do law enforcement use applications like Wade or Trapster to keep an eye on you on the road and monitor your speed? This morning I got a speeding ticked going from home to the hospital I work at. Of course when you have to get in you have to try to get in within the hour. Iwas doing 75 in a 65 mph zone. He said he clocked me at 80 mph. Don't think so because I have the latest and the greatest on radar detection downlodable upgrades and do that religiously not to speed but if on call we have an hour to get in and I live 45 minutes away not by choice. I downladed two applications on my phone and finally got it to work yesterday afternoo. This morning was my day. Have not been ticketed in years. I'm upset because I believe I was targeted through one of those applications. Usually I use common sense and at the most 5 to 10 miles per hour over the limit. I was coin 75, not 80. Could anyone enlighten me before I remove both applications from phone? Radar detector never went off and he marked on the ticket "MARKED" not radar detector. After the ticket I politely asked him if he used a phone application to mark me he gave me a big smile. If I had been doing mph I deserve the ticket. Not 75 and there was traffic behind me about 50 to 75 feet. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. highjakker

highjakker Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Male
    Service Writer
    Virginia baby!!!
    should've asked to see the radar gun. they have to show it to you if you ask, i do believe.

williemazda likes this.
  3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

Do they use photo radar in your area? What about Lidar? While this may change depending on municipality I don't think PD is allowed to use systems not specifically provided by their department to track down offenders. After all, how would the officer explain that to the judge. My guess was that the smile was just the officer being a bit smug...

Are the tires on your car the standard size that was provided by the factory when the car was built? Non-standard tires could cause your car to be moving faster than is being reported on your speedometer. And in terms of GPS calculated speed, this is typically not completely accurate due to the inherent error built into the satellite GPS network.

williemazda likes this.
  4. williemazda

williemazda Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    I run everything standard on my car. I have GPS, Cobra 9970G which is a 15 bander radar detector with GPS module asides having my phone on navigation and running Trapster & Waze applications in the background. Just upgraded my radar detector module 2 days ago, also where it's 65 I set my cruise control to 72 and never had a ticket that way, gone to 74 and got stopped once and asked to slow down so I know that anywhere between 5 to 7 miles it's ok and when traffic moving at the same speed they do not bother you. My biggest concern is working in a hospital you have a limited time to get in. This morning I was not called in just going at my regular time. They do use Lidar in some areas but more towards St Louis, my radar detector detects everyone of them, I have tested that already also like I mentioned before my detector is upgradable, mostly they use a lot of photo in my area where they picture you and send the ticket home alongside a picture. This issue left me thinking. thank you so much for you guys input. I seriously think this is something "we" need to know for our own reference and knowledge. Thanks everyone, definitely appreciate your input. Didn't want to ask the officer to show me because that would have probably stirred something worse so I didn't. Noticed from far he followed me for a couple of miles afterwards. I turned off the application afterwards though until I know for sure.

5. Hyndon

Hyndon Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    The Sunshine State
    Welcome to the Android Forums! Glad to have you here. :)

Sorry to hear you got ticketed. I'm not exactly sure though if having those application's would cause that.

williemazda likes this.
  6. williemazda

williemazda Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    Not sure myself but coming home I intentionally had it on and while in traffic but did not have the nerve to speed, thought about it a couple of times but not going to risk my record, not worth it. All I know is that displays speed and location of other drivers. Not familiar with the software yet. Was hoping someone within the forum might have it and give some input. Do appreciate you guys help. I'm sure this is a puzzle we all like to know the real deal. Definitely will not only monitor my speed but the applications. Seriously thinking of removing it but haven't yet because it can help if there is a lot of traffic, if they monitor speed then not worth it because we all at one time or another have sped.

7. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    While I'm certain there are police officers on this site who could comment more accurately than me, I honestly don't think that they monitor these apps. If I had to guess I'm thinking he either estimated your speed based on his experience, or paced you for a period of time. Any other methodology (including a radio call from another officer or helicopter would have likely included radar which would have triggered your detector.

williemazda likes this.
  8. williemazda

williemazda Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    Martimus, I have an uncle who is a retired police officer and I've had this kind of converstions with him before although being retired he does not stay up on technology and I know many of the little dark secrets I rather not comment yet this officer was sitting on the side of the road with lights off not behind me nor was he pacing me. I had low beam and drove about aprox 25 to 50 feet before I got to him. I'm used to being paced, it happened to me before and like I said again, most of the time I drive with cruise control on and when I do speed somewhat I do it on open road where there is no vehicles front or back for the same reason. I had a taste of that many years ago where I was paced and ticketed. On call this weekend and scared to death to live the house because of this kind of thing I'm going to have to watch out for now. Not using the phone application unless I'm under heavy traffic, not falling for that one again. Just like I have a phone and if and when using the application I can see other drivers in the same route near by this is where I think that happened just another application being used wrongfully. Anyways, got to go in. Have a great day. Also, keep in mind these are early hours areas where all you see is road and corn fields on both sides where you can see fairly clear. My mistake for not trying this applications one at a time during daylight hours. Live and learn.