• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to this phone, not Android tho :P

I installed gentoo on an SD card (ext4, make sure to create lots of inodes in mkfs.ext4 for portage and source trees) for my volt... the stock kernel has everything it takes to run it, and you even have fuse for doing sshfs and stuff like that.

If you want to go that route, here are the scripts I use to set up gentoo environment, and start a gentoo shell:

/system/bin/gon:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
if [ ! -e /system/gentoo/bin ]; then
echo Setting up gentoo...
busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 /system/gentoo
busybox swapon /dev/block/mmcblk1p2
mkdir /dev/shm
busybox mount -t tmpfs shm /dev/shm
busybox ln -sf /proc/self/fd/ /dev/fd
busybox mount --rbind /dev /system/gentoo/dev
busybox mount --rbind /proc /system/gentoo/proc
busybox mount --rbind /sys /system/gentoo/sys
busybox mount --rbind /data /system/gentoo/mnt/data
busybox mount --bind /system /system/gentoo/mnt/system
busybox mount --rbind /storage/emulated/0 /system/gentoo/mnt/intsd
busybox mount --rbind /storage/external_SD /system/gentoo/mnt/sd
echo Gentoo is ready... Type gen to start shell
else
echo Gentoo environment already set up.
fi

/system/bin/gen:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo Starting gentoo shell...
(unset LD_PRELOAD; unset SHELL; unset SHELLOPTS; unset PS1; export HOME=/root; export TERM=linux; busybox chroot /system/gentoo /bin/bash --login)
echo Gentoo shell has exited.

I've built a whole system with X libraries, lxde, and firefox and it runs okay. I strongly recommend doing some memory mangement tweaks (I just did a post in the pokemans thread describing my way).

Other notes: Set FEATURES="-userfetch" in make.conf or you won't be able to download packages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones