• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Thunderbolt...

Fruban

Mar 16, 2011
So I just got the thunderbolt today. I'm coming from a rooted LG ally with the latest version of velocity. This is my second android phone, but I can already say I'm missing the hard keyboard!

The ally was a good transition phone (as my first android) from a decent dumbphone, and it will take a lot of getting used to the thunderbolt for me. I liked my ally quite a bit after velocity was on it, but recently my touch screen stopped responding altogether so I bought a new phone. Yeah there were a couple really annoying quirks with the ally but I felt pretty good about it after i tweaked it to my preferences. Maybe I got lucky with mine compared to some others with major issues.

So I have a few questions or things to say about my new phone so far.

Call me crazy, but I'm not a big fan of HTC Sense UI. I like simple, and Velocity custom ROM really hit it home for me. Can I get a nice Velocity ROM on the Thunderbolt or anything comparable? What are some less obvious things from sense that I'd be missing out on if I installed something like Velocity or a similar ROM?

Also, I dislike the default virtual keyboard. I type so fast that the keyboard doesn't keep up with me, the autocorrect is annoying, and i noticed that the way i type, being fast, made me realize that the keyboard doesn't register two button presses at once. Is there a keyboard out there that recognizes two simultaneous touch points?

That's about all I can think of at the moment, but as I explore my new phone and customize it further, I'm sure I'll have some more questions for this forum! Thanks.

Edit: Can someone change this to Tips instead of Support?

Welcome to the Thunderbolt. I too came from the Ally and I can tell you this thing is a big step up from what we had. As far as a Velocity type ROM, there are several you can choose from, some of which still have a few kinks, but all work pretty well. I personally use the DAS BAMF roms, of which Velocity creator Trident is a team member, and have liked them all. There is a stripped version without a lot of the sense stuff that you may prefer. As far as AOSP Roms, CM7 is coming along real well as well as OMFGB. Here's a link to alot of the goodies for this thing. Thunderbolt Android Development - xda-developers. Enjoy your Thunderbolt!

Reactions: Fruban
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones