• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new to you

I was one of those crazy people who pre-ordered there G1 WAYYY back when, and have loved it... but hated seeing all these cool things you could do with it once rooted, but not being able to do it... so last week i rooted my phone. within 2 hrs i had bricked it. given, it was my own fault, i didn't full read the instructions... i installed some packet before i was suppose to, and it just never went past the G1 screen, no matter what. well... ever since then i've been a bit hesitant to root again... but i am also greedy, and want all the awesome stuff one can have with a rooted phone. i saw how helpful you guys where on here, and figured i'd sign up, and maybe get a little more comfortable with the whole rooting process before i went and did it again.

michael

I was one of those crazy people who pre-ordered there G1 WAYYY back when, and have loved it... but hated seeing all these cool things you could do with it once rooted, but not being able to do it... so last week i rooted my phone. within 2 hrs i had bricked it. given, it was my own fault, i didn't full read the instructions... i installed some packet before i was suppose to, and it just never went past the G1 screen, no matter what. well... ever since then i've been a bit hesitant to root again... but i am also greedy, and want all the awesome stuff one can have with a rooted phone. i saw how helpful you guys where on here, and figured i'd sign up, and maybe get a little more comfortable with the whole rooting process before i went and did it again.

michael

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

You can find a Rooting Guide and Unrooting Guide in my signature below ...

There are other guides of course ... you can do a TAG search on this forum for "root" to find more info.

Upvote 0

michael

Welcome to the Forums... and when your ready to root again... don't hesitate to ask one of us.....

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forums... and when your ready to root again... don't hesitate to ask one of us.....

basically the mail reason i want to root is so i can get a hero build... i've gone ahead and rooted again... and now im just trying to decide what build to go with. i do have a few questions:

1) what is all this stuff about SPL and radio? i know this is the step that messed me up last time, i installed the "new" spl before the radio or something like that... so i'd like more information on this stuff

2) why is it necessary to partition your SD card, and what is this ext2 and ext3... AND can you partition from a mac or are you only able to do this special partioning from a pc

3) do you have any suggestions as to the best HTC hero rom out there?

thanks for any suggestions and help you might give.

michael

Upvote 0
basically the mail reason i want to root is so i can get a hero build... i've gone ahead and rooted again... and now im just trying to decide what build to go with. i do have a few questions:

1) what is all this stuff about SPL and radio? i know this is the step that messed me up last time, i installed the "new" spl before the radio or something like that... so i'd like more information on this stuff

2) why is it necessary to partition your SD card, and what is this ext2 and ext3... AND can you partition from a mac or are you only able to do this special partioning from a pc

3) do you have any suggestions as to the best HTC hero rom out there?

thanks for any suggestions and help you might give.

michael

1) the SPL is required to load the ported build of hero to your phone and yes it has the potential to BRICK your phone.. if your board is anything other than PVT do not even bother... the proper order of install is RADIO FIRST then flash the new spl... (keep in mind flashing your SPL will wipe your current build and you will need to have either fastboot or a clean sd ready to go with a build to get your phone to boot again)

2) the reason you need to partition or SD for HERO is because it is MASSIVE more than twice the size of most cupcake builds and would only leave you a fraction of the internal space in other words your phone would be useless... dont own a mac so I cant tell you how 0but I know it can be done....

3) any of newer versions of JACHero aka DrizzyJAC would be my choice....

Upvote 0
after reading your input i think im just going to go back to the legit build, and just be patient and hope they make those HTC widgets open to all... but im having a problem... i went through the un-root process but now im stuck at RC29... how do i get it to update? will it update OTA on its own? i tried to download the offical 1.5 release but the link is broken, everywhere... which i think is odd... but yeah. if you could help me out that would be great. thanks

michael

Upvote 0
after reading your input i think im just going to go back to the legit build, and just be patient and hope they make those HTC widgets open to all... but im having a problem... i went through the un-root process but now im stuck at RC29... how do i get it to update? will it update OTA on its own? i tried to download the offical 1.5 release but the link is broken, everywhere... which i think is odd... but yeah. if you could help me out that would be great. thanks

michael

You can use the files and procedure on this link ... >>>> http://www.getyourdroidon.com/cupcakedl.html

Left Column of the page at the bottom of the files ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones