1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New Transformer Owner: Many many annoying issues I am trying to resolve..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gearlocker, May 10, 2011.

1. gearlocker

gearlocker Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    Hi everyone!

I am a new Asus Transformer owner and a new Android user. I am used to the iPhone OS for the last few years so a lot of the Android terms and lingo is new to me.

I just picked up my Asus Transformer yesterday and just began to play with it now.

I have been experiencing some really big annoyances / issues that is making me reconsider this purchase. I am thinking about refunding the unit unless I can resolve these issues soon.

Please keep in mind, I have gone into settings and tried to click on "System update" but it says there are no updates for me at this time. I have NOT tried installing the firmware patch on the Asus webpage that was posted early May (last week)

1.) Lag. Significant lag flipping through the screens, typing in the webbrowser (for example while i type this post on this forum there is a 1/2 second delay between me pressing the key and the letter showing up on screen)

Lag watching youtube videos. Nothing really plays smoothly, it's gnerally very choppy. It has nothing to do with my wifi connection.

2.) Force Close / Force Shutdown of multiple programs.

I installed Facebook. The app crashes when I try to access the "Friends" tab.

3.) Keyboard dock looses connection with the tablet. THe keyboard stops working. I have to disconnect the dock from the tablet to get it to work again.

I have seated the tablet to the dock correctly and the latch is fully closed to the right each time i dock it.

4.) Unable to select text sometimes. I thought i was supposed to be able to select blocks of words by double tapping a single word, then dragging the two arrow tabs that show up, but those arrow tabs aren't showing up. when they do show up, they are not aligned accurately. It's off by a few spaces (extremely annoying).

When i do select some text, and i need to scroll the entire page, the drag arrow tabs become misaligned again...

The typing cursor, that blinks to show u where ur next character will show when you type, half of the time it's not accurate. It's like, 2 to 4 spaces forward.

5.) Back to Facebook. I cannot view facebook in the browser. It detects the browser as being mobile so it loads the mobile site which will NOT load, it says connection error.

Somehow the desktop version of the webpage loads up "sometimes", but clicking on certain links brings it back to the mobile page and then it won't load.

Am i able to make the web browser not be detected as mobile? So when i visit certain web pages it loads the regular page and not the mobile site?

Thanks everyone for their time. I will update this post as I find more annoyances.

Hopefully you guys can give me some sound advice! This thing can be really cool, but it just feels so unpolished right now...

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    sounds like you need to go back to ipad.

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Sounds like the OP is reporting stuff others have too. The keyboard is not ready for prime-time and Asus can bolt on all the band-aids they want, but the root problems will probably not be fixed until Android accepts external storage and attachments for Honeycomb and gets out their (Apple-like contained storage dreamworld). The OEM's are having to do all the work- outside of the framework and bolted on.

4. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Go to browser settings. Under the advance tab you can change the browser to "Desktop" mode. It loads facebook just like desktop browser. So, you don't need to install the facebook app.

For facebook viewing photos, I always press and hold the picture, then select view in a new browser windows.

You might always want to try a factory reset. Then your TF might works smoother. =)

5. gearlocker

gearlocker Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    Thanks LunchBB, at least now i can browse correctly now :)

So, I'm not the only one experiencing these problems right?

6. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    i think u need a reset for the tablet issues. the dock is a well known issue. according to google i/o today it looks like better integration will be had when 3.1 is on the asus.
    GETTING MINE TOMORROW YEAH!!! :)

7. mihaelb

mihaelb Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    I've read other posts that talk about the dock on occasion needing re-seating to resolve various issues with it. The rest of the items you listed sound like a factory reset, and if it doesn't work, RMA

oh, and on the text highlighting thing, I noticed on my Nexus One that double-tapping doesn't always bring up the tool, so maybe it's an android thing, maybe it's the speed at which you tap or something...not a big-enough problem to be annoying, though (yet)