• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New type of Android "System" ad pop-up, not browser pop-up ads or Air Push!!

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend (in the US).

I just got back from vacation. While helping a relative set up their new Android phone, I noticed something new.

After installing "Flixster" and then a live wallpaper called "3D FireFlies Live Wallpaper", a very strange thing happened. The "3D FireFlies Live Wallpaper" app was a 'featured' front page app on the Android Market place on Sprint. :(

I was trying to open the "Flixster" app, and the timing was such that the 3D Fireflies wallpaper had just finished installing, I noticed a SYSTEM pop-up in the home screen (not in the browser) - that said something about "LivingSocial coupon"... I was trying to do something else on the phone at the time, so I inadvertantly clicked on the "LivingSocial" pop-up, which then brought up a full page ad for LivingSocial. I used the "back" key to back out of it.

Then I downloaded "Airpush Detector", to see if it was an Airpush ad - and the Airpush Detector did not detech any Airpush apps on the system.

I reviewed the permissions for the "3D FireFlies Live wallpaper" and the permissions are:

-Network Communication: Full Internet access
-System tools: Display system-level alerts

It is VERY SUSPICOUS for a live wallpaper app to have this permission.

I also reviewed Flixster's permissions:

-Your location: coarse (network-based) location, fine (GPS) location
-Network communication: Full internet access
-Storage: modify or delete SD card contents
-Phone calls: read phone state
-System tools: change wi-fi state

It seems it is less likely that Flixster could have caused an ad-pop-up because it doesn't have the ability to display system level alerts.

This seems to be a new type of push ad, different from Air Push, that I've seen. It is a huge concern.

Not being 100% sure, but being reasonably suspicious of the 3D FireFlies Wallpaper app, I deleted it from the phone.

Anyone else seen ads like this?

Reactions: Roze and B2L
I haven't seen these yet, but this is bad news for Android. There are quite a few users that will easily jump ship when they find all these different ways advertisements will show up.

All of these ads are just getting a bit too ridiculous in my opinion.
I agree 100%. I thought Air Push was bad, but at least you could detect it, and there's a permanent opt-out app to opt out. There is NO WAY to 100% detect this ad technology yet, and no way to opt-out, other than finding the responsible app and uninstalling it.

What's worse is that reading the user comments, very few users are aware they're getting pushed ads from this app. The developer of this app is NOT very clear about how they're pushing ads to users.

I am reading the description of the app here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.AOI.hqq.LiveWallpaper_FireFlieslite&feature=search_result

The detail reads:

"To develop more free but great live wallpapers, we made a tough decision to add advertisement module in settings. Advertisement can support our operation and avoid charge. Please support us.Thank you!"

Sneaky bastards - they don't tell you HOW they will push ads to you. Having POP up ads in the Android home screen is completely unacceptable.

I hope everyone reports this app as "Malware" and boycotts the developer: Go Wallpaper Dev Team

Android users do NOT need ads for a stupid live wallpaper!! :mad::mad:

Upvote 0
I agree 100%. I thought Air Push was bad, but at least you could detect it, and there's a permanent opt-out app to opt out. There is NO WAY to 100% detect this ad technology yet, and no way to opt-out, other than finding the responsible app and uninstalling it.

What's worse is that reading the user comments, very few users are aware they're getting pushed ads from this app. The developer of this app is NOT very clear about how they're pushing ads to users.

I am reading the description of the app here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.AOI.hqq.LiveWallpaper_FireFlieslite&feature=search_result

The detail reads:

"To develop more free but great live wallpapers, we made a tough decision to add advertisement module in settings. Advertisement can support our operation and avoid charge. Please support us.Thank you!"

Sneaky bastards - they don't tell you HOW they will push ads to you. Having POP up ads in the Android home screen is completely unacceptable.

I hope everyone reports this app as "Malware" and boycotts the developer: Go Wallpaper Dev Team

Android users do NOT need ads for a stupid live wallpaper!! :mad::mad:

That's extremely shady, I'm with you though. We need to boycott developers like this. If you create a good enough live wallpaper there are so many users that will gladly pay for it. There is no reason to pull this kind of crap, this is the easiest way to get users to stop using anything a dev creates.

Most users are just average people, and they have no idea what is specifically causing the problem. Most of them don't even know how important it is to review permissions before they install an app. This definitely isn't good for the developer, or the users.

There aren't that many people that fully understand that a specific app is causing the ads. Next thing you know you will hear "Android phones suck, you get free apps, but then they bloat your homescreen with advertisements."

Google seriously needs to put an end to these type of notifications, and also air push notifications. All they are doing is making things worse for the average user. I for one am reporting this app, and i hope others join in and do the same.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
Did you PAY for this live wallpaper? If yes, then I'd agree. If no, did you 'donate' to the developer? I'd think they'd want some kind of revenue for providing you with a pretty, colorful background for your phone. Those ads pay for your free download.
So because theyre providing something for free theyre entitled to do whatever they want without your consent? Really?

Informed consent is the key here. If you install something you should know what youre agreeing to. In-app ads? Fine, it's obvious that theyre part of the app. Taking over your phone and displaying ads outside of the app without telling you? Malware.

Upvote 0
I was shocked that it was my beloved Go Dev Team, all their free live wallpapers have that permission. I supported them so much, I feel betrayed now. I am off to write an indignant email.
I've been saying this about GO products all along, and I'm usually castigated for it. I won't use anything that 'phones home'. I pay for everything on my phone, even if there's a free version, I always donate, and I donate to these forums. I don't do ads no way, no how.

Upvote 0
I've been saying this about GO products all along, and I'm usually castigated for it. I won't use anything that 'phones home'. I pay for everything on my phone, even if there's a free version, I always donate, and I donate to these forums. I don't do ads no way, no how.

I use a lot of Go products, widgets, launcher, sms, contacts. I support them by getting the themes, and also get the paid version 90 percent of the time versus free. I also hate ads, and believe in doing my part to support the market as a whole. I have never once noticed any dodgy ads. Never use live wallpaper, bc of the battery use. So I think Go only does this with their live wallpapers. Not making excuses for them, they should just get rid of the free versions if system alerts are the only way they can pay for them. But it's not a widespread problem with all Go apps.

Upvote 0
I second ninja_rejects post above me .. I too use most of GO products, including many of their free browser themes, and I have never had ads.
It must only be their free live wallpapers. They are starting to produce more paid for apps nowadays.Although I don't agree with ads, there has to be a source of revenue for them from somewhere. I think that, eventually, they will introduce both paid and free versions, so the user has the choice of which to use. I will happily pay to support devs wherever possible. And I shall also continue to support the GO team.

Upvote 0
I use a lot of Go products, widgets, launcher, sms, contacts. I support them by getting the themes, and also get the paid version 90 percent of the time versus free. I also hate ads, and believe in doing my part to support the market as a whole. I have never once noticed any dodgy ads. Never use live wallpaper, bc of the battery use. So I think Go only does this with their live wallpapers. Not making excuses for them, they should just get rid of the free versions if system alerts are the only way they can pay for them. But it's not a widespread problem with all Go apps.
It's in GO SMS. From this thread:
Originally Posted by botman12 can anyone tell me why this app needs permission to access the following?

"Your accounts-discover known accounts
Allows an application to get the list of accounts known by the device."

"Your personal information-Read sensitive log data
Allows an application to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the device, potentially including personal or private information."

Is this safe? I'm a bit hesitant to install because of these requests knowing our google accounts and private information.

'You know, all this isn't free without a reason.
Handcent and Chompsms also do this, so that's the price to pay for a prettier interface and more functions.'

It's not ads I'm not happy with (although I don't do ads), it's the info mining that's going on. In all GO products. Really. So, go ahead and use them, just be aware of what they're doing with those permissions.

Upvote 0
Handcent and Chompsms both need that information for legitimate reasons. If they don't get your account information from your phone they can't send messages and are useless.

I found an app called Permission Denied. Not sure if it's root required or not, but you can go through and individually deny permissions to various apps. Bear in mind that if you do, you may well break the app. If you deny Chompsms access to your contacts, for example, you would then have to manually enter everyone's name every time you used it.

Upvote 0
So because theyre providing something for free theyre entitled to do whatever they want without your consent? Really?

Informed consent is the key here. If you install something you should know what youre agreeing to. In-app ads? Fine, it's obvious that theyre part of the app. Taking over your phone and displaying ads outside of the app without telling you? Malware.

Yeah :/ that really sucks. Proper disclosure is a requirement for all apps. I don't want ads if I'm not using the damn app. Stick it in the apps, I'm fine with seeing the ads there.

Handcent and Chompsms both need that information for legitimate reasons. If they don't get your account information from your phone they can't send messages and are useless.

I found an app called Permission Denied. Not sure if it's root required or not, but you can go through and individually deny permissions to various apps. Bear in mind that if you do, you may well break the app. If you deny Chompsms access to your contacts, for example, you would then have to manually enter everyone's name every time you used it.
Permission Denied needs access to the system file to modify the apps and thus requires root on your phone.

Upvote 0
OK here's the official definition from developer.Android.com

public static final String SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW

Since: API Level 1
Allows an application to open windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other applications. Very few applications should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.

Constant Value: "android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW"
public static final int TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT

Since: API Level 1
Window type: system window, such as low power alert. These windows are always on top of application windows.

Constant Value: 2003 (0x000007d3)

I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why I'd grant this to any app. This permission is meant for the OS, not really for apps.

I guess something like SenseUI might ask for this, but even then I'm a bit unsure as to why they wouldn't just skin the regular alerts.

Upvote 0
It's in GO SMS. From this thread:
Originally Posted by botman12 can anyone tell me why this app needs permission to access the following?

"Your accounts-discover known accounts
Allows an application to get the list of accounts known by the device."

"Your personal information-Read sensitive log data
Allows an application to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the device, potentially including personal or private information."

Is this safe? I'm a bit hesitant to install because of these requests knowing our google accounts and private information.

'You know, all this isn't free without a reason.
Handcent and Chompsms also do this, so that's the price to pay for a prettier interface and more functions.'

It's not ads I'm not happy with (although I don't do ads), it's the info mining that's going on. In all GO products. Really. So, go ahead and use them, just be aware of what they're doing with those permissions.

Discover accounts makes sense for those apps, but read log data is over-reaching. They dont need read log data.

As always feel free to point them here:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

:)

Upvote 0
OK here's the official definition from developer.Android.com

I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why I'd grant this to any app. This permission is meant for the OS, not really for apps.

I guess something like SenseUI might ask for this, but even then I'm a bit unsure as to why they wouldn't just skin the regular alerts.
Thanks!!

I was hoping you'd take a look at this, as I love your Pocket Permissions app.

The description sounds alarming!!! There is NO REASON any app would need this permission!! :mad::mad:

I'm looking into it as well. In the meantime, anyone have a screenshot of the "alert?"
I don't have a screenshot, but Quentyn tried out the app http://phandroid.com/2011/07/07/the-next-horrible-advertisement-model-for-android-popup-ads/ and he saw the pop ups, but said they were so fleeting and quick that he wasn't able to capture a screen shot.

No app should have this "system alerts" permission. Google should ban apps that ask for these sensitive permissions from the Google marekt place!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones