• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New unlocked Acer Liquid E - came with 2.2

...and I can't access 3G despite having a strong four-to-five bar 3G signal on my previous phone. Carrier is T-Mobile USA. I've spoken to them and was advised to go to local store and pick up a new(er) SIM card, which I did. I then called back and some tech guy told me that this phone would NEVER run 3G on T-Mobile! I was aware of this problem on the iPhone, but, Acer? I simply don't believe it, having read a number of other complaints about fixing 3G problems that cropped up after downloading and installing 2.2. Here's what I've done:

1. downloaded, successfully installed 2.2 update from US website (despite phone's having come with 2.2 preinstalled)
2. done at least three factory resets
3. called T-Mobile about resetting after following their advice and getting a new, "3G-capable" SIM card (guess my previous one wasn't sufficient, although I never had a problem with 3G on the Moto Cliq the E replaced!) This is when the guy told me T-Mobile's 3G signal was unique and no phone, unlocked or otherwise, that wasn't supplied by T-Mobile would ever do 3G (except maybe some Chinese dual-SIM unit - which I don't understand!)

SO, is that true? If not, any suggestions - other than spending $400-$550 for a new phone? Thanks, everyone!

I am afraid that there is no Acer Liquid which can work with T-Mobile USA.

I believe T-Mobile uses the 1700MHz 3G band as one of the bands (with both bands being required) and the Liquid, unfortunately, does not have it (infact the only phone I know of which is not on T-Mobiles lineup that has it is the Nokia N8).

The only suggestion I have would be to switch to AT&T if you want 3G on this phone (AT&T uses the 850MHz OR 1900MHz. Some Liquid E have both, ALL have the 1900MHz. I have a Liquid A1 which only has the 1900MHz and I get 3G throughout the entire greater Houston area).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones