• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Unrevoked 3.21 Beta for FROYO is up

good man and thanks. I'm downloading now (but i think i'm downloading the whole thing). it's taking a long time. then i can extract those driver hopefully.

but i'll probably have trouble doing that also. I;ll let you know. thanks again

I just installed the new version, and I can verify that you can "reject" everything except the USB driver. You'll end up with just the drivers & the tools. Though you still probably need to use the drivers provided by unrevoked (I had to on this old winxp machine). I've updated my page to reflect these new changes.

Reactions: wedgemoose
Upvote 0
You can delete all that crap. If I were you, I'd just remove that entire sdk directory, re-extract the zip.

Check my rooting guide on my site for details.

Download the SDK (I got everything just for giggles). You'll need the drivers and stuff BUT the USB drivers you need for your computer to recognize to root are the modified hboot drivers via unrevoked website. In the steps provided, they said to reboot to hboot and your computer will try to install drivers, but what I did was throw it into USB debugging mode. Windows 7 tried to install drivers, but couldn't. I then opened the device manager in Windows and selected the device > update drivers. You then select the modified hboot driver folder, not the android sdk usb driver folder.

Upvote 0
thanks but it looks like i can never root. Are you kidding me!!!!!! i don't know what the heck came up now. it installed a few more folder on my comuter. One says "tools" but when i open it there are a million choices. and one says "USB_Drivers" but this one i didn't get until i re-opened SDK Manager (just to see what would happen after i closed it) and there was an option to download USB drivers. So i did. but same thing, a bunch of choices when I open it.

i can't beleive how complicated this is. All these posts seem like it is effortless. I must be real bad.

thanks anyways. but if i'm stuck here on step one (haven't even thought of the other three steps yet) i will never be able to do this.

thanks again

one question though. did i just put a million Megs of stuff on my computer? can i get rid of it. that wasn't a normal program download (doesn't show up in my programs or anything). this is advanced stuff that i shouldn't be doing. can i uninstall? (I don't see anything in "add remove programs")

This is going to sound terribly condescending, and I really do not intend for it to be so, but am really trying to save you future headaches. If you can't figure out the rooting steps by all the info provided, particularly here, Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com , then I would really recommend you not do it. Sometimes you have to have level of "tech sense" that helps get you through things, whether you have done something similar or not in the past. It helps identify the little things, like knowing an Application file is the .exe that needs to be run. (Probably bad example, but one from a post above).

My point being this...root is intended to apply mods, roms, themes...blah, blah, blah. Some of these items are no more difficult than what you are trying to do, but you can (emphasis on can, not will) brick your phone if steps aren't understood/followed directly. Which leads to more headaches trying to recover from, if it's even possible.

You have to ask yourself the question, is root and what you want to do worth it? Are you going to improve the phone over what you currently have to the point it is worth the (potential) headaches? If so, then keep on, keepin on, the community is here to help you...they have certainly helped me, either directly or indirectly, as I just rooted (Unrevoked 3.2 Beta) for the first time, installed Virtuous ROM, custom kernel, and INCredible REVOlution theme in the last two days. All of which works wonderfully, and was much less intimidating to accomplish than originally appeared.

Again, my apologies, no harm intended by my post.

Upvote 0
Ok - I have already rooted my inc months ago. Now im trying to root my dads but when using unrevoked it gets to the pushing recovery it does it for a minute then I get a failed to push recovery. I have debugging on and its set to charge only. The program will boot my phone into hboot but then it fails and the phone reboots. I have all the nessecary drivers and files downloaded. Im trying to get this done in the next hour or so, so if anyne has any ideas I welcome them.

Upvote 0
Ok - I have already rooted my inc months ago. Now im trying to root my dads but when using unrevoked it gets to the pushing recovery it does it for a minute then I get a failed to push recovery. I have debugging on and its set to charge only. The program will boot my phone into hboot but then it fails and the phone reboots. I have all the nessecary drivers and files downloaded. Im trying to get this done in the next hour or so, so if anyne has any ideas I welcome them.

Nevermind. I joined irc and dl'd the test unrevoked... worked like a charm:D

Upvote 0

Are you trying to use all the same files/programs that you used to root your phone phone months ago?

If so, they won't work as I am assuming that your dad's phone has 2.2 on it. The old unrevoked won't work with 2.2.

They are working on a new program, 3.21, that will root 2.2. It's still in testing. You need to either download their test program or wait until they officially release it.

Upvote 0
This is going to sound terribly condescending, and I really do not intend for it to be so, but am really trying to save you future headaches. If you can't figure out the rooting steps by all the info provided, particularly here, Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com , then I would really recommend you not do it. Sometimes you have to have level of "tech sense" that helps get you through things, whether you have done something similar or not in the past. It helps identify the little things, like knowing an Application file is the .exe that needs to be run. (Probably bad example, but one from a post above).

My point being this...root is intended to apply mods, roms, themes...blah, blah, blah. Some of these items are no more difficult than what you are trying to do, but you can (emphasis on can, not will) brick your phone if steps aren't understood/followed directly. Which leads to more headaches trying to recover from, if it's even possible.

You have to ask yourself the question, is root and what you want to do worth it? Are you going to improve the phone over what you currently have to the point it is worth the (potential) headaches? If so, then keep on, keepin on, the community is here to help you...they have certainly helped me, either directly or indirectly, as I just rooted (Unrevoked 3.2 Beta) for the first time, installed Virtuous ROM, custom kernel, and INCredible REVOlution theme in the last two days. All of which works wonderfully, and was much less intimidating to accomplish than originally appeared.

Again, my apologies, no harm intended by my post.

Hoovercraft, No offense taken at all. I thank you for it. If you look at my last post I even say "forget it and thanks anyways". you are 100% correct. But i can do stuff like this. I just never played with anything like that SDK manager before (I'm a desktopper basically). I only want root to remove bloatware and a few other things(that seem tricky also). But you are correct, i am giving up. although someone PM'ed me and he might help. It's only this one step I'm stuck at.

and thanks for the concern.......

Upvote 0
Download the SDK (I got everything just for giggles). You'll need the drivers and stuff BUT the USB drivers you need for your computer to recognize to root are the modified hboot drivers via unrevoked website. In the steps provided, they said to reboot to hboot and your computer will try to install drivers, but what I did was throw it into USB debugging mode. Windows 7 tried to install drivers, but couldn't. I then opened the device manager in Windows and selected the device > update drivers. You then select the modified hboot driver folder, not the android sdk usb driver folder.

I had to end up doing this last night also, just made the unrevoked drivers the usb_drivers in /sdk (as mentioned in this guide Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com) just like superstretch said.

This was on vista and not 7. It worked just as good.

Upvote 0
I understand the beta was just because of EVO issues .... but is it still in "Beta"?

I am using that as my excuse to procrastinate. If they take it out of "Beta" i have to find a new excuse to not root :(

^^ I figured id get a reply, or at least a laugh out of this one?

I really need to adopt a new sense of humor, my current one just isnt cutting it around here lol

Upvote 0
Got to be the stupidest person on here....

Ive been trying this for HOURS, installing drivers, searching, reading problems others have etc...

I cannot get unrevoked to reconize the phone, keep getting the waiting for device message... Im assuming its a driver issue but Im fed up...

I need the phone rooted ASAP and this is driving me insane !!

I think I have the drivers installed correctly because it now says Android Bootloader Interface under driver software for the phone.

Upvote 0

Ive been trying this for HOURS, installing drivers, searching, reading problems others have etc...

I cannot get unrevoked to reconize the phone, keep getting the waiting for device message... Im assuming its a driver issue but Im fed up...

I think I have the drivers installed correctly because it now says Android Bootloader Interface under driver software for the phone.

Make sure your phone is in usb debugging mode. Connect your phone to your computer. Make sure the phone is in charge only mode. On your computer open a cmd prompt. cd into your SDK/tools directory. Type the following:

Code:
adb devices

This should list your phone. If it doesn't, adb doesn't see it at all. You can try restarting the adb service:

Code:
adb kill-server
Code:
adb start-server

Upvote 0

Did you follow JonAmerica's step by step guide?

Also, you WANT the Android Bootloader Interface to show up under your device manager. That means the drivers were successfully installed.

Upvote 0

I was having the same issue this morning. I had installed the drivers, but for some reason unrevoked just wouldn't see my phone. I ended up going into device manager (windows xp), and clicking "update driver". I then pointed it manually to the folder with the unrevoked driver, which fixed the issue. Now I'm enjoying some rooted 2.2 goodness.

BTW - For those holding out on installing the beta, just take the plunge. It works great on my Inc running 2.2.

Upvote 0
BTW - For those holding out on installing the beta, just take the plunge. It works great on my Inc running 2.2.

Agreed.

Removed bloatware (well most - I was a little too OCD to remove some like Skype which I may use for international wifi calls).

And ADFREE is the best program ever!!! It works on the stock internet browser AND apps. They were sooo annoying to me for some reason.

Not absolutely perfectly as an app here or there somehow defeats it but it still works great.

Upvote 0
Holy horse shit Batman !! I think it worked!!

Unrevoked says its done and when it booted I saw S off or whatever...

Have no idea how or why it worked this time and if I had to do it again Id close my eyes and bash the all the keys because itd probably be better chance of working !!!

Ok, next up jailbreaking the PS3 !! Maybe I cant get that done by Christmas !!!

Upvote 0
And ADFREE is the best program ever!!! It works on the stock internet browser AND apps. They were sooo annoying to me for some reason.

Not absolutely perfectly as an app here or there somehow defeats it but it still works great.

Being in app development, this makes me cringe.

Our market is pushing towards an "everything free" environment (which is great for yall, but sucks for dev's) so the only real option to hope for some money is using Ad placements hoping to get paid either per impression, or per click.

Without an incentive for developers, the market is going to be complete shit, IMO.

Reactions: dibs ODDJOB
Upvote 0
Would you mind forwarding me the PM...? I'm gonna wait till Friday night or Saturday morning to do my root.

Sorry CREV it wasn't like that. he PM'ed me that he would help. then we went back and forth with a million e-mails. He had to walk me through like a 2 year old. It is pretty easy though. You can do it no problem. I have trouble with all the tech word. Example: you can't say to me "boot into Hboot". you have to say "hold the power & vol down button at the same time and you will be in Hboot". I know how to do everything but need help with one word instructions.

but you'll be all set. It seems like I was the only one having trouble.

Upvote 0
Stupid question from someone just starting off in the Android world:

I have a DInc with OTA 2.2 and was wondering if I root the phone with unrevoked, would I loose the Sense UI interface?

After reading this thread I would love to try and root to get rid of some of the useless stuff that has been added to my phone, but am a little unsure of jumping in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones