• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New update, new woes... sigh

D

dyrelogan

Why can't these companies leave well enough alone? OK, I posted a topic where my battery life was horrible after the 23.3 update to my Maxx. It seems to be doing better. However, now I'm experiencing yet another problem which I never encountered before this corruptdate. My mobile hotspot no longer works. That's right. What used to work great now no longer works. I turn it on as usual and... nothing. PC doesn't find it. PS4 doesn't find it. I don't even think Indiana Jones would be able to find it! It's getting really frustrating. Why can't these developers leave things alone. Seriously!

What indication do you have of the Mobile hotspot problem?

I had not used Mobile Hotspot for a few months.

When my Maxx was activated (yesterday) and I turned mobile hotspot on it reported Error right under the label. That was all the information.

I am running my Turbo now with mobile hotspot on from the same location and there is no problem.

... Thom

Upvote 0
What I'm getting is nothing. None of my devices are finding my phone as they have countless times before the update. It's as if the phone is not transmitting the signal to be able to connect to my devices. It's as if it's not there. I've turned it off, turned it back on, reset my phone, everything and still nothing. I wish I never have updated.

Upvote 0
On my Maxx the word "Error" appears right under the phrase Mobile Hotspot each tune I check the box.

With your box checked it is apparently blank ... right?

It is working with my Turbo correctly,

I (and the Verizon support person I was taking to) assume a problem with my Maxx and a Factory Data Reset might correct it.

I was trying to see if you had the same problem.

... Thom

Upvote 0
That's how they get you off the phone. Telling you to do a factory restore. That's never worked in my experience. I'm not getting an error. I guess I'll factory restore everything tomorrow. Here we go having to setup my phone just how I like it AGAIN! Next time, I buy Apple. Never had one thing wrong with my iPhone 4 and 5. Only reason I came back to Android is the battery life. I hate to be this frustrated but I always go to Motorola and I always have trouble. Did you know this is my 5th Maxx!? I've had to return 4 of them to Verizon. It's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I had one problem with my Maxx about six months ago. The capacitive buttons stopped working. I was getting ready to get it replaced and the last thing I did was a Factory Data Reset. They started working again and have been fine since then.

I use Nova Launcher Prime and it has a backup/restore capability for your home screen and app drawer. Doing a backup/factory data reset/restore is not that painful any more.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Well I'm still having the shut off on its own problem still. I've seen my battery jump from 12% to 18% to 100% to 0% and then shut off. And I'm not talking within hours I'm talking within seconds! I think my phone is on its last legs and I'm about to give it a proper send off pretty soon, at the bottom of the river. However, I can't replace the phone as I'm not in the USA any longer. I'm living in Thailand and using another cell service. I can't afford a new phone so this will have to do for now.

Upvote 0
On my Maxx the word "Error" appears right under the phrase Mobile Hotspot each tune I check the box.

With your box checked it is apparently blank ... right?

It is working with my Turbo correctly,

I (and the Verizon support person I was taking to) assume a problem with my Maxx and a Factory Data Reset might correct it.

I was trying to see if you had the same problem.

... Thom

This is actually the same problem that I had before which led me to do a factory reset a few weeks ago. Immediately after I reset and reinstalled my apps, the Hotspot worked. However, I checked it again just now and I'm getting the familiar "Error" again.
I've never been able to find any information on this error and I've never pinned down an exact cause. It just appears that sometime after resetting, the Hotspot just suddenly fails.

The fun thing is that after it fails, I can't turn my wifi back on until I reboot the phone. Does yours do this too, Thom?

Upvote 0
Cycling Airplane Mode lets me turn wifi back on without having to reboot the entire phone, but it doesn't fix the "Error" with tethering that causes that issue in the first place.
Admittedly, I don't need to tether often, so this isn't the end of the world or anything, but it's nice to have the option available.
Coming back from a factory reset isn't as devistating as it used to be since so many programs have the option to export/backup their settings (and I can use DropSync to keep all of those exported settings syncced with my DropBox), but I still have to restore all of the apps that don't have that option, so it's still kind of a pain in the butt... If only apps like Helium worked with Motorola phones...

Upvote 0
Cycling Airplane Mode lets me turn wifi back on without having to reboot the entire phone, but it doesn't fix the "Error" with tethering that causes that issue in the first place.
Admittedly, I don't need to tether often, so this isn't the end of the world or anything, but it's nice to have the option available....

Have you ever tried going into settings / apps, find mobile hotspot, and clear data? Would that prevent the need to factory reset? (Not that you should have to do this...)

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Have you ever tried going into settings / apps, find mobile hotspot, and clear data? Would that prevent the need to factory reset? (Not that you should have to do this...)

I hadn't until now. The Clear Data button for Mobile Hotspot was disabled, so there was nothing to clear. Just for fun, I tried Force Stopping it, but it didn't change anything.

Upvote 0
I hadn't until now. The Clear Data button for Mobile Hotspot was disabled, so there was nothing to clear. Just for fun, I tried Force Stopping it, but it didn't change anything.

Yes, I noticed that clear data is disabled after I posted the last message.

I can't test the hotspot at the moment, as I'm at home with a very poor mobile signal. I'll try it out tomorrow at some point and see what happens. (I rarely use it, obviously.)

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with my Droid Maxx after the update. Were you able to solve it with a factory reset?

Last time I did a factory reset, the hotspot worked when I checked it immediately after restoring all of my apps and settings. However, when I checked it again about a week later, it started giving me the same "error" message as before.

Since it's impacting several of us, (at least) one of us should call VZW and see what they have to say about it, though I suspect it will be "You should perform a factory reset"...

Upvote 0
I had this problem on the Maxx.

I had the same problem on the Turbo after I activated it. During Hotspot activation it would hang and put out the word "Error".

Verizon support checked everything and could not find anything.

Motorola support assigned it a ticket.

I had already done a Factory Data Reset after installing the OTA on the Turbo.

I did a second Factory Data Reset and the problem was fixed.

It was reported by someone else in the Turbo forum that they had the problem ... all Verizon records looked clean to the Verizon rep. The Rep then disabled the option on their users records and enabled it again. The next day it was working (without the need for a Factory Data Reset).

... Thom

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Thanks, I'm actually having the same problem as Dyrelogan. No error message, hotspot activates but devices do not see it and can not connect to it on the network. Occasionally if I turn off and reset the sim, client devices will be able to see the wifi connection but can not connect. It worked fine just before the update and I have not recently installed any new apps.

Upvote 0
I had this problem on the Maxx.
It was reported by someone else in the Turbo forum that they had the problem ... all Verizon records looked clean to the Verizon rep. The Rep then disabled the option on their users records and enabled it again. The next day it was working (without the need for a Factory Data Reset).

No luck with that approach here. I just had a VZW rep disable and re-enable the option on my account, and it's still giving me the error. The good news is that they've escalated the issue to the network technicians who should be contacting me tomorrow.

Upvote 0
It's been 2 days now and mine has yet to magically start working.
I was told by VZW that the next level of tech support should be contacting me yesterday, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Strangely, I also noticed that my computer (computers really- I tried several) do not recognize my phone when I plug it in now either. The phone shows a charging indicator, but no other indications that it's been connected. The computers do not respond at all- no removable device in My Computer, no new items in Device Manager, nothing. I've tried 2 computers and 3 cables, so the problem is definitely in the phone.
I'm considering trying a factory reset again, but I want to wait until I hear back from VZW to see if they can fix the hotspot problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones