1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New update to gingerbreaf

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rollincoal420, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    So this mornin my phone told me to install update by restarting or some $#

Advertisement

2. Bozz5384

Bozz5384 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011

Rollincoal420 likes this.
  3. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok. Thanks. Is there a reason I got it and she didn't?

4. Bozz5384

Bozz5384 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    I dont know of any rhyme or reason as to how they rolled it out... and don't think any of us mortals do.

Just did the manual update of my phone and it worked... took about 20 mins. Phone seems to work good, I just did a video Skype call with my daughter, and it was flawless.

Hard to tell the difference with the update except things seem smoother and its less laggy. I'm hoping it seriously fixed some things...so far so good.

5. frankelweeze

frankelweeze Lurker
    None

Nov 29, 2011
    They roll out updates in increments. It's random. They start small, a few thousand, test the results of the roll-out, then support it.

Within 4 to 5 days everyone will have notice of the update.

6. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

The update is downloaded to your phone to a file called update.zip on the SDCard. You could in theory copy the file to your computer and then to your girlfriend's phone's SDCard and run it. Put it in the root of the SDCard, don't put it in a folder.

You would then (once the file is on it), power the phone off and then hold this button combination; Up Volume Rocker + Home button, while holding those two you can begin holding the power button. Once you see the Samsung logo you can release the power button but KEEP holding the up volume rocker + home button until you see a custom. A different screen will appear. One of the options should be "apply sdcard:update.zip". Select that and run it.

Nurseferatu and GrammieDroid like this.
  7. Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Thats about all I noticed as well so far except the damn pinch zoom on the browser no longer re sizes the text

8. Nurseferatu

Nurseferatu Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Tech writer & RN
    Oakland, CA
    Your well-written posts have been very helpful as well as fun to read, and I thank you. I do have a question about your installation steps for the new Stock GB file.

I'm downloading this file from the link on XDA:
    update_EE4B_to_EP4D.zip
    I assume this is the correct file, the one I should rename.

The other steps make sense until the end:

Is it okay to release the up vol rocker and Home button after I see the Custom? (I hope so, because selecting "apply..." is gonna be challenging without that third hand.)

Thanks again.

9. trparky

None

Complete instructions on how to do all of this can be found here. I have written up a very detailed section of my Droid Charge Android Page for this very purpose.

Yes, you can.

10. Nurseferatu

None

Feb 15, 2010
    Tech writer & RN
    Oakland, CA
    I'm an impatient novice. I followed trparky's excellent tips and am now running Gingerbread 2.3.6. Here's how I did it: all the steps, a little simpler for folks like me.

Disclaimer: This worked for ME. But your phone has different stuff on it and possibly different configurations. If you do this, something COULD happen to brick your phone. Only do this if you are prepared to take responsibility for whatever happens.

Before you begin:

• I used my PC to put the update file on the SD card in my Charge. If you don't know how use your PC to open your Charge's SD card, this won't work for you.
    • Make sure you have a fully-charged bat
      tery.

GET THE NEW GINGERBREAD FILE AND PUT IT ON YOUR CHARGE'S SD CARD

1. On your PC, go here and follow the link to download the new Gingerbread file:

GB OTA manual update.zip-leaked! - xda-developers

2. Rename the file to update.zip. Don't unzip it.

3. Connect your Charge to your PC and open the SD card.

4. Move the update.zip file to the SD card but make sure it isn't any of the folders.

START THE INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect your phone from the PC and power it down. Don't connect it to AC power (my Charge kept wanting to recharge).

2. Simultaneously press and hold Volume Up rocker and Home button. As soon as you you have them down securely, press Power at the same time.

3. When SAMSUNG appears, continue to hold Volume Up rocker and Home button but let go of the Power button.

4. A new screen appears with a little menu. You can let go of the Volume and Home buttons.

5. In the menu, select "apply sdcard:update.zip." To move to the selection, use the Volume rocker (up or down) to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip and then press the Home button to confirm your selection (it's like pressing Enter).

Installation starts, indicated by a progress bar. Be patient. DO NOT touch the phone because anything you do at this point could brick it. It took my charge about 25 minutes; your mileage may vary.

If the installation is successful, the Charge reboots on its own.

CONFIRM INSTALLATION

To confirm installation, go to Menu > Settings > About Phone and look for 2.3.6 in the Firmware Version entry. Beauty!

I'm finding that everything is more wonderful, although the Charge still can't microwave my coffee.

ALL PRAISE to trparky!

treb1797 likes this.
  11. trparky

None

I did take your instructions and added them to my page as a set of instructions that may be a bit more easier to follow. I hope you don't mind.

12. Nurseferatu

None

Feb 15, 2010
    Tech writer & RN
    Oakland, CA
    I'm a lowly technical writer and I live for responses like this. It's an honor!

13. trparky

None

My instructions may have been more detailed than I needed it to be. I just didn't want to leave anything out so as to make sure that if someone was following my instructions, they won't be left wondering what to do next. Sometimes I go overboard.

14. Nurseferatu

None

Feb 15, 2010
    Tech writer & RN
    Oakland, CA
    On the contrary, your details were reassuring. Sketchy isn't good when one risks bricking a $500+ phone.

In fact, I still had some questions--like whether to stop pressing Power when SAMSUNG appeared, and how to select the file from the boot menu. I'd never navigated the Charge using buttons. But I figured it out, and thought maybe it would be useful to other newbies like myself.

I downloaded Froyo in much the same way onto my old D. Incredible. I am very happy that I did this--Gingerbread is excellent.

15. trparky

None

Thanks.

One of the things that I've tried to do, specifically for my Android page, is to compile all of the instructions one needs to know about how to repair, restore, root, and load ROMs onto the phone in one place. There's no need to jump from one thread to another in hopes that the next thread will have the info you need to do something. Think of it as a one-stop-shop for everything you need to know about the Droid Charge.

I've tried to defy the idea that not everyone in the computer community will tell you to RTFM (Read The F***ing Manual). I personally hate that and has more than on a number of occasions caused me to run away and not even try it.

I learned the hard way, jumping from one thread to another. I felt that this phone needed a more central knowledge base where anyone could come to and get the answer they need.

I may write up some more details, specifically regarding CPU governors and other various tweaks that I've applied to my phone but that is going to be more geared to the hardcore geeks and not the average user.

Hawk03 likes this.
  16. dcooper830

dcooper830 Newbie
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Actually....... I noticed this also and I was irritated at first...... but I've realized it's a good thing.

It used to be when I would pinch and zoom to tap a link the resize would kick in and move the link off the screen. But now that doesn't happen.

I found that I just have to double tap to resize text.

I like it. :)

17. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    hey, tparky, so if I am on froyo, do I simply update with this:

Download Name: Confirmed Official Samsung Droid Charge Froyo 2.2.1 EE4 to Gingerbread 2.3.6 EP4D Update ZIP
    Actual File Name: update.zip
    MD5: DEA220D570A3B477A04CD2141CD08BC3
    Download Links: FTP, HTTP, HTTP Mirrored Download
    Description: This is the Confirmed Official Samsung Droid Charge Froyo 2.2.1 EE4 to Gingerbread 2.3.6 EP4D Update ZIP file that a lucky few have already gotten via OTA. What does this mean for the people who haven't gotten it via OTA? Simple... this is your fast-track ticket to the Gingerbread update without having to wait for Verizon to push it to your phone.