• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New update

I bought a used ZTE AWE, it comes with B07 pre-loaded, can someone please help me hot to root this? I've tried the RomasterSU.zip but it didn't work on B07, please help!

You can try taking it back to b04 from these instructions http://androidforums.com/awe-all-things-root/808228-how-return-awe-back-stock.html but first I would try flashing l awe with the instructions for from stock http://androidforums.com/awe-all-th...-1-2-l-awe-v2-5-final-works-stock-device.html then update twrp to the latest and then flash the B07 ota fix in the same post to get rid of the nag.

Upvote 0
Yeah probably but it was the norm for me. I use absolutely no google services at all. I Just consider it bloatware at this point. When search begins to push upwards of 20 megs...its bloatware garbage. I use third party programs for apps.

By removing all the unused media files,the boot animation(except for something custom I use in framework-res) and all the google and virgin mobile stuff I have been able to trim the stock rom down to 241 megs and that includes using xperia keyboard and launcher with walkman,video and other ported xperia apps. Runs smooth. Now if I could just get rid of that tinny sound in voice calls.

Curtis is a perfect example of why Cyanogen Mod and CM based Roms are a good choice for people who don't use Google. CM can operate completely independent of GApps and so can stock with a lot of bloat removal. There's lots of side loadable apps for nav and search etc. I imagine the phone without google services is much faster. May strip the stock ROM and give it a try. :D

Upvote 0
If I can get the time over the weekend Ill upload my two modest contribtions. One flavor of pure stock/no gapps with quad lockscreen mod,boot animation from framework-res,apm mod,status bar with changeable backgrounds, and a few more things...and one flavor running xperia stuff no gapps. Now be aware neither of these are on the same level as L Awe or Moonshine,etc...they are basic with some extras I thought I needed. Still need to do something with the older updater script as it has issues with the newer twrp though..

Upvote 0
Curtis is a perfect example of why Cyanogen Mod and CM based Roms are a good choice for people who don't use Google. CM can operate completely independent of GApps and so can stock with a lot of bloat removal. There's lots of side loadable apps for nav and search etc. I imagine the phone without google services is much faster. May strip the stock ROM and give it a try. :D

Yeah the phone is extra smooth and very fast without anything from google and virgin included. Works very well actually. But there are times you may need an app and youll have to search around for it. But other than that..exactly what I need.

Upvote 0
Hopefully nothing funny was done in the B05 script. Here's a package to take you straight to stock-ish B07. Difference is it's rooted and doesn't have the stock recovery. Always wipe cache and dalvik-cache. If you don't wipe data then this just upgrades you. If there are stock apps you don't like I recommend removing them from /system/app before flashing. Be patient when flashing, it takes several minutes to do its thing.

N800_B07_FULL.zip - 390.98 MB

I have stock rom installed with Awestruck kernel (Baseband: NB800B01, Kernel: 3.4.0-g302eade zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT, SW Version: Awe_Inspired_Moonshine_White_V2.9, Hardware version: cyea)

If I install this, will I lose my installed apps?

Upvote 0
I have stock rom installed with Awestruck kernel (Baseband: NB800B01, Kernel: 3.4.0-g302eade zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT, SW Version: Awe_Inspired_Moonshine_White_V2.9, Hardware version: cyea)

If I install this, will I lose my installed apps?
Yes you should lose all your data because you should wipe. You can download TiB from play store and back up all your user apps and data.

Upvote 0
No, no wipe is needed if you are already on a 4.1.2 ROM. Tested on my own phone coming from B05 and I had no issues.
Needed and necessary aren't the same. Especially when issues do arise. Its always a good policy to wipe. Especially if an end user has issues, when and where trouble shooting is concerned always good to have a clean install. :)

Upvote 0
Needed and necessary aren't the same. Especially when issues do arise. Its always a good policy to wipe. Especially if an end user has issues, when and where trouble shooting is concerned always good to have a clean install. :)

Oh absolutely if something goes wrong then wipe, but if the ROMs are compatible might as well try an upgrade first. That said, I wouldn't try anything without both a Titanium Backup run and a nandroid/TWRP backup.

Upvote 0
I'm going to answer my own question.

No. No, it is not safe. Phone won't boot with the B07 build.prop in place.

"I've made a huge mistake."

Oh. OH. I bet I didn't set permissions properly on build.prop.

Anyway, time to figure out how to factory reset, because the phone won't boot now.

Just flash my B07 update, you'll be okay. No need to reset. Deep breath.

Upvote 0
I have returned to confess my sins, and post how I solved my problems, because I hate it when people don't do that.

Spock, the problem was that I made a mistake and goofed up the update. See, I don't have TWRP installed, so I can't just flash the fix zip. I extracted build.prop and moved it over manually, as I did in the last OTA. Unfortunately, I forgot to set the permissions properly! With incorrect permissions on that file, the OS would not boot and I was stuck at a black screen, and stock recovery.

I did try a factory reset because I don't really care about my install and just wanted the phone working ASAP, but interestingly (to me) the reset does not blow away system files. I wiped out my user data, but it did not touch the bad build.prop file... My situation had not improved.

I eventually figured out a solution. I I learned that I could easily flash a temporary install of TWRP via the "Awe Soft Brick Fix." With TWRP in place, I could properly flash the fix, and this restored my phone to a bootable condition.

With the user data wiped out, I decided to go ahead and install "L" anyway.

I learned some things. Haven't really done much with Android yet besides rooting for the sake of ad blocking and tethering.

Thanks for making the fix!

Here's the tool to install TWRP if anyone else finds themselves in a similar state. Note this is a temporary install, stock recovery returns at the next boot.

http://androidforums.com/awe-all-things-root/850926-fix-soft-brick-one-click-fix.html)

Upvote 0
I am rooted but still stock rom, but with twrp recovery. I tried to let the update so it's thing but it hangs up on twrp. I found the actual file. Can I just install it via twrp without any issues? I presume the lack of stock recovery is causing the update to not install. I am an amateur at this but I am learning. Lol

Upvote 0
I am rooted but still stock rom, but with twrp recovery. I tried to let the update so it's thing but it hangs up on twrp. I found the actual file. Can I just install it via twrp without any issues? I presume the lack of stock recovery is causing the update to not install. I am an amateur at this but I am learning. Lol
Can't be flashed without a stock recovery. However Spock put together a B07 rooted stock complete rom which is flashable. Has anyone noticed any signal/data improvement with the patch?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones