• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New user and some questions

slaguru

Jul 29, 2009
Hey everyone.

Just got a Hero and need some help if possible, while I play with this great phone.

1. How do you save and run apps from the memory card ?
2. Is there a simple way to kill apps, as they seem to clog up.
3. Can the device be rooted?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Hey everyone.

Just got a Hero and need some help if possible, while I play with this great phone.

1. How do you save and run apps from the memory card ?
2. Is there a simple way to kill apps, as they seem to clog up.
3. Can the device be rooted?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Sorry i was thinking Magic ..and not HERO ... here are the files for HERO >>> http://www.getyourdroidon.com/wiki/index.php5?title=--HERO_BUILDS--

I am not sure about the guide ... have you try a search for it ... on the site ?

Upvote 0
You can't run apps from the memory card without rooting it? Then where are they stored and how much space is there? I thought ROM was the OS and could only be changed through firmware upgrades, while RAM was temporary and wiped or overwritten frequently. Is space - or lack of space - for apps a significant concern?

This is all news to me!

(BTW, that link is for the Magic - is it compatible with the Hero?)

Upvote 0
You can't run apps from the memory card without rooting it? Then where are they stored and how much space is there? I thought ROM was the OS and could only be changed through firmware upgrades, while RAM was temporary and wiped or overwritten frequently. Is space - or lack of space - for apps a significant concern?

This is all news to me!

(BTW, that link is for the Magic - is it compatible with the Hero?)

To do what I said before .. you need to root ... That is why i gave you the link ... it you check the page ... all the way at the bottom of the center column are the files you need for a Hero

Maybe someone else can point you to a link for a guide ... Also check the XDA-developers site ...

Upvote 0
I'm a bit scared of things like rooting my phone TBH, I don't want to brick it even if that is unlikely. I put an open OS on my MP3 player once (Rockbox on an iRiver player) and although it worked, I was constantly afraid of breaking it. Mind you, Rockbox was pretty rough back then (and may still be, I don't know).

On that getyourdroidon.com wiki, I've no idea what the heck all those entries are and which I would want, if any. Not newbie friendly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones