1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New user - multiple grief :-)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by msknight, Sep 22, 2011.

1. msknight

msknight Newbie

Hi Folks,

I've got various questions covering the camera sounds, USB storage triggering, exchange active sync security and a nice gtalk account problem.

Hopefully, I won't have to root the phone for any of these, but ...

First off is a relatively simple one. I want to kill the camera sounds. I've tried the local.prop containing
    ro.camera.sound.forced=0...in both / and /Andtroid/data ... but I've got the sneaky suspicion that this wasn't actually at the proper / level.

Second is that to get the phone in to USB sharing mode is a long winded process. The X6 was great, just stuff the USB connection in there and, if I didn't select an alternative mode within a few seconds, it went straight in to USB storage mode and hooked up to the PC.

Not so with the S2, Menu->Wireless->USB...etc. Anyone know a quicker method to do this please?

Third is that I'm hooked up to Exchange at work and to do this, I've had to hand over remote control of my phone. Is there any way to easily stop work from remote killing my phone, or is it actually more advisable to leave this in place?

Last, I've got myself in to a gtalk account mess...

To start with, there are three ID's going on. My original googlemail.com account. My YouTube account and my normal everyday email account.

Now, I linked my youtube account with my googlemail.com account. It says that my google account is my everyday email address; and I also use my everyday email address that to log in to blogger, so as far as I am aware, that is now my google mail account. Apparently, I was wrong.

On the S2, there is a googlemail application. I set this up with my everyday email address. Sadly, it failed.

Falling back on the original googlemail.com account, it worked and the account showed up in the gmail app.

Now, however, I've got a problem. In the Settings->AccountsAndSync section, I can't delete the everyday email account and promote the googlemail.com account in its place.

It says I can't delete the account because "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

They've got to be kidding. This is just a setting somewhere, right? It reads to me that they've got my google account and they ain't letting it go without serious grief. Problem is, while the system is being a right drama lama, it's actually got the wrong account and I've got no way of giving it the right account.

Can anyone help please?

Nothing like joining a forum with loads of problem :)

Michelle.

Advertisement

2. msknight

msknight Newbie

This google gmail account thign is starting to be a real annoyance.

Despite dissabling all the syncs for the account, something is still trying to use the account and I keep getting regular notifications that the account is wrong.

I am close to screaming at the phone, "Yes, I know it's wrong but you won't let me change the *expletive* thing."

From a newbies viewpoint such as mine, (who doesn't understand how Android works under the hood) the inability to kill this account is starting to take on an insidious overtone that I would have expected from Apple.

If I can't get a solution by the end of the day, I'll need suggestions to back the handset up, before wiping it and never touching the gmail icon ever, ever again.

3. msknight

msknight Newbie

*deep breaths*

I've regained my nerves by dissabling the notification tone, but now I get no "notification" of notifications.

I tried stopping all the applications and service I could before trying again to delete the account, but it just wouldn't let me.

This is depressing :-( Anyone got some Android Prozac to help me out here please?

4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert

Not sure about the Gmail issues, but the other are fairly easily dealt with and no Root required.

For camera sounds off - make sure you're on the latest firmware, for quite some time official firmwares have been set up so that if you're in Silent mode the camera capture tones are also silenced. I use Tasker to automatically switch me to Silent whenever I open the camera and switch back on exiting.

For connecting via USB mass storage mode: connect the phone to the computer, pull down the notification tray and click on the notification that USB is connected, then on the next screen that appears choose to connect as USB storage. Takes like 2s once you know how.

msknight likes this.
  5. msknight

msknight Newbie

UNfortunately, it isnt' working. Even with the phone switched to silent, the camera still soudns.

Also, when the USB is plugged in, MTP Application starts, but after clicking the home key to quite Kies, the "Data" button in the notification section, won't respond.

6. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member

all you have to do to stop camera sounds is
    settings->sound->volume->set system volume to zero..job done

7. msknight

msknight Newbie

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Camera still sounds.

8. msknight

msknight Newbie

I think I remember some fuss about people taking pictures without their knowledge; Japanese trains and female harassement come to mind. There was a distant decree that all cameras should sound. Does anyone remember anything on this please, and whether this inability to turn the sound off is because of that ... and if so, is there a third party camera app that will allow the sound to be turned off?

9. james_b

james_b Lurker

I remember that to as well, which is why I assume the sound on the Samsung (obviously Japanese manufacturer) camera is always on as opposed to my last Android phone (HTC) who are Korean I believe.

10. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member

whats your kernel version?...you should try to update it via kies or odin

11. msknight

msknight Newbie

Kernel version...

2.6.35.7-I9100BVKG3-CL344296
    root@DELL103 #2

Build - Gingerbread.BVKG3

12. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member

im on KH3 and putting the system volume down works for me..try updating and try my method again

13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

I'm not sure if this will work, but you can add more than one Google account. Try setting up a new one using the correct @googlemail email address, switch to it then try deleting the original one. You may have to restart the handset between switching and deleting.... as I say I've not had reason to try this myself.

For the USB issue, go to Settings/Applications/Development and enable USB debugging. This will prevent Kies starting automatically and loading the MTP driver, which I think prevents the USB connected notification appearing in the Status Bar.

msknight likes this.
  14. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert

If its not working for you then its likely a firmware-related thing, that's why I stipulated newer firmwares work in the way I described and suggested making sure you're on the latest version.

Try setting USB Debugging on in Settings --> Applications --> Development and then connecting the cable to the computer. You should see some drivers get installed. I should have mentioned that before, I forget that mine is always set to Debugging ON.

15. msknight

msknight Newbie

USB - cool! Great tip. Many thanks. It's saved a few swipes.

I've got the other google account in, but can't find an option to switch to it.

(Is there a word, "Swutch" - a combination of swipe and touch to mean generic operation? Would it take off?)

16. msknight

msknight Newbie

No update available.

17. msknight

msknight Newbie

I think Google Talk is the problem. My problem is that I can't get in to it, in order to change the account. I'll keep trying.

If I cancel, then it just takes me out. If I wait, it just sits there, and sits there, and sits there, repeatedly trying to get in to a bad account.

18. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Hmm, my understanding was maybe wrong then. I thought you ran one account at a time, not several concurrently. I take it even with the second account configured you still can't remove the original?

19. msknight

msknight Newbie

Correct.

The second account is in there, has been from the start, and it is the only account showing under G-mail, and functions correctly ... the bad account doesn't show.

It seems to be only "Talk" that is hanging on to the account, and I've got no way of getting in to it to change the account it is using; and seemingly no way to uninstall "talk" as I wont use it.

Looks like rooting the phone and uninstalling "Talk" if such a think is possible. ?

It looks like whomever programmed, "Talk", could do with a bit of a talk-ing to :)

20. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

The problem is that the Google account is used by everything; this single log-in is hugely advantageous but, as you've found out, if you get it wrong during initial set-up can be a royal PITA. Honestly, I think a factory reset is going to be the least stressful answer.

21. msknight

msknight Newbie

Well, a factory reset would probably be a lot less stressful than what I've just encountered in the realms of Google Help. They should rename it the Google Hinder Desk.

When i've calmed down, I'll have another stab at it. I'm going to have to buy a micro SD card from somewhere to back up the phone. *sigh*

22. msknight

msknight Newbie

I've been told (by voice, so i've got no links for this) that there is a Samsung update coming to correct the camera sound issue I'm having. Anyone heard of this rumour please, becuase I can't find it anywhere else?

23. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

You can use the internal (USB) storage as that isn't affected by a reset.

24. msknight

msknight Newbie

Ah! Superb. That's a relief. I'll hunt down the backup system ... I presume that the google backup won't work because I've mucked up the main account.

25. msknight

msknight Newbie

Oh 'eck. Now I'm in a world of app and update pain.

Can you kindly suggest an app to backup the contacts to the phone memory please ... preferably something I don't have to pay for because when I total the phone, I presume that the app will also go airward?