1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New user needing help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by george.wagner3, Jul 5, 2011.

1. george.wagner3

None

Jul 5, 2011
    I recently upgraded from a palm pixi to a HTC EVO 4G.Probably one of the best decisions I ever made besides marriage,kids and career. But enough about that, I'm actually looking for advice as to what to build my EVO up with. The app market can be intimidating. What can I do with this stock new EVO as far free apps, battery consumption, and browser speed to blow my mind even more than it already is. Also is there a free mp3 music download app(sharing like limewire) and what is this rooting I keep hearing about. Thanks for the help, I have a feeling I will be a long time member and user.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1.ok so my suggestion is to read the stickies in the tips section to help get you started. also the stickies in the troubleshooting section has some great info as well.

2.also read this thread as far as rooting goes http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html. it is just an intro. if you go into the rooting subforum there is a rooting for dummies sticky that you should read. also keep in mind that if you have gingerbread 2.3.3 on your phone you will have to wait to root as it is not rootable yet.

3.as far as free apps goes i use the app market on my computer to browse and download it to my phone. also checkout the amazon market. they give away a free every day. so check it out.

george.wagner3 likes this.
  3. sharinlea

sharinlea Member
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    Link: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/105074-must-have-android-apps.html

Remember you can search inside threads as well as within the forum. So open up that thread, and if you want to see if someone recommends a specific mp3 app, you can search with just that thread.

And remember, different people like different things. You'll often see polls about the best keyboard, best launcher, best sms application, etc. Try them out, see what works best for you. And then uninstall the things you don't like to free up room.

However, PLEASE, ignore any recommendations to run App Killers. They are their very best, useless, and sometimes damaging to battery life.

ocnbrze and george.wagner3 like this.
  4. george.wagner3

None

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I wasnt sure if i could keep downloading apps and then uninstalling them. I have 2.3.3, so I guess rooting is out for now. I can see some trial and error in my future. Hope to learn from others mistakes first.

5. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Yup, you'll have to wait it out if you want to root, but keep checking. As soon as it's possible to root GB, the forums will explode.

Some of my favorite apps are Soundhound, Songbird, Google Docs, Dropbox, and I like quite a few of the browsers (dolphin comes to mind).

Astro File manager is good, it has a 'backup' feature. It backs up the .apk files (app installers) so that you can re-install them later without needing to use data (I have lousy 3g so this is helpful).

:) yeah, you pretty much have to jump head first into android.

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: