• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New user - Video recording light question

Awesomeman

May 23, 2010
Hi guys,

so I'm a new user and have a question that will no doubt be quickly answered by someone who knows more than I do. My google searches have so far only turned up hundreds of reviews, but no actual information.

When I use the camera function on my Desire I have the ability to turn the flash for the camera on or off. When using video however, the flash icon has a cross through it and I am unable to turn it on. Is there a way to turn on the LED/flash while recording video in low light situations?

Thanks in advance

There is software that can turn on the light which you can use independently:

LED Desire Light - Cyrket

chart

However, I have issues with the light turning off when i use the camera.

In any case, you should be careful with it; the LED lamp is not designed for being turned on for long periods at time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link Yenzehn, but I actually downloaded the exact same app a few days ago hoping I could use it in conjunction with the camera. Like you, though, as soon as the camera opens up, the light turns off.

I guess the main reason for my confusion is that there's the icon for the flash (and even the button for it) sitting right on the display. Surely they wouldn't include the button if it was useless...

Upvote 0
It is designed to be used with taking photos for turning the flash on/off, like you mentioned, I do not see why it is useless?

However, I can see why HTC would disable it for video, like mentioned, the lamp is not designed to be turned on for longer periods at a time, and doing so could damage the lamp or severely shorten the time it will keep working.

Upvote 0
don't worry about this issue of not being able to use flash light for video recording, however it will be fixed with Froyo (2.2) as it is in the changelog of android.
just for me it was very surprising to find out that i wasn't able to use flash light when taking video as having Samsung galaxy with android 1.5 i was able to do that :)
but let's just wait till froyo comes out on desire

Upvote 0
Cool. I'm happy to wait a bit if that's the case.

Yen, the only reason I think the button is useless is because it's a digital button. If there's no way to turn the flash on during video recording, why bother having the button there? In my mind, at least, it looks like a function that can be enabled. If the button wasn't there at all I'd simply assume it wasn't an available function.

But as I've mentioned, I'm more than happy to see that this is all going to be rectified with froyo...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones