1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New user with email issues

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mhowell777, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mhowell777

mhowell777 Lurker

Hi folks,

Hope you can help me, which is why I registered here. As of January 7, 2013, I have an email problem in which I cannot reestablish an account via T-mobile that worked until January 7th, 2013, but does connect with WiFi.

In Email App, using T-mo, I input email and password, then select Next, wait a while while phone says "Checking incoming server settings". After a while it times out, with the message "Couldn't open connection to server".

Using WiFi, after many attempts, the phone immediately connected and established the account.

ISP is earthlink.net. Earthlink help says to use server pop.earthlink.net, port 110, no security.

Any ideas? What search terms should I use to find relevant threads to solve this?

A little history:

I own a Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1, Kernel 3.0.31, on a T-mobile contract-free sim card

My first was bought through an Amazon seller which supplied the phone from Hong Kong, which I learnt later was a big mistake. This phone was a casualty of a car charger in which the voltage regulator failed, eventually spiking the charge voltage, killing the phone.

Samsung refused to warrant in the USA, so with limited options, my second phone was purchased through Samsung warranty (long story) for ~$200.

Oh, also, I'm an electrical engineer who understands only very little about a lot of things about cell phones, but I'm willing to learn.

~~~
    Added: I will repost this in one of the forums.

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Are you rooted? Do you happen to have the terminal emulator application?

If so, try these commands and see if you get a reply.
    Code (Text):
    2. su
    3. ping pop.earthlink.net
    This will try to make a connection to the earthlink email server (su is because sometimes 'ping' is a root only program... not sure what it is on android)

My thinking with this is something going on where tmobile isn't properly routing traffic to earthlink, and it's working on your wifi because your ISP is earthlink, so the connection might be using some kind of a local alias.

I'm not sure though, and for some strange reason, email seems to be a pretty fickle server on phones (my folks have had issues on BB, ios, and android... so I'm not really sure where the problem is).

I hope this helps mhowell777, also, welcome to Android Forums.
    Sorry you're here under such lousy circumstances, but hopefully we can get this sorted out for you.
    -9to5

Oh, here's the link to the gnex sub-forum... they might have an answer for you. They're a lot brighter than I am.

androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/

3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Welcome aboard.

Hopefully some of our more experience members might be able to assist you with your concerns.
    Thanks for stopping in.

Best of luck. :)

4. mhowell777

mhowell777 Lurker