1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New user

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jefflevine, May 19, 2011.

1. jefflevine

jefflevine Lurker

New to android. Many stupid questions. How do I get out of the internet? How do I make sure I have not left programs running after I am finished using then? On my Blackberry, if I didn't turn off all programs, it would use up my battery. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jefflevine

jefflevine Lurker

I posted a new thread with my questions but don't know how to respond to "quick reply".

3. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

hi jeff... welcome to android and this forum...

to closing apps...

1. most apps will close but using the back button .. till it goes back to the home screen.
    sometimes... there is a "quit" option when you hit the "menu" button... but most dont!!!

2. this is android.. which is really a linux OS underneath. it is not like your other OS systems; where you always have to worry about freeing up memory!!! ANDROID DOES NOT CARE ABOUT FREE MEMORY....IT TRYS TO KEEP USING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. DONT WORRY ABOUT MEMORY..LET ANDROID TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU... PUSH IT OUT OF YOUR MIND. AS NEEDED ANDROID WILL KILL APPS OUT OF BACKGROUND MEMORY. it is best and easiest, to just hit the "home" button when you are done with an app. then forget it!

3. you can download an app/task killer .. to get rid of bad behaving apps that will not release resources...

do a search on task managers... and why it is NOT needed!!!!

4. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

Hi Jeff, some of the apps DO drain battery. For example, those apps that constantly updating your geo-location through satellite. So make sure they are not running in the background.

Also, make sure you turn off WiFi until you really need to use it. Because constant search of WiFi hot spots drain your battery very quickly. So never leave it on for no reason.

Samsung Galaxy S phones have Task Manager built in. But I hardly use it.

Hope this helps.