• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new v. old SD card

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I got a new SD card for the phone, a ZTE Z815. I guess I'll have to give in and format it for adaptive storage to make it useful for anything besides photos and videos. How do I transfer them from the old card, which is set up the regular way? What do I do with the old one, put it in a museum?

Thanks for your answer, but I have no computer access. Is there another option?

You could copy them to a cloud account like dropbox or Google Drive and then copy them back once the new SD is set to adoptable storage. Make sure you do it with WiFi so you don't eat through your data

Reactions: Rgarner and AMOCO
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OK, I've downloaded 7zipper but I'm not sure how to do this. I guess the only things on the old SD card, which is still in the phone, would be photos and videos, since it's just plain regular and not adaptive or whatever. How do I save them to a file or folder on the phone?

Upvote 0
Not every phone will support Adaptable Storage, some manufacturers might remove the option.

There should be a notification when you first put the SD card in to set it up, or go to settings -> storage -> select card -> menu -> format as internal (might vary by phone). Then you can go into Settings -> Apps and choose to move apps that support being moved (not all do).

Upvote 0
I was able to find a PDF of the user manual, which mentions only portable storage. I assume this means no adaptive. Is there a way to get around this? It's a ZTE Z815, with a measly 8 GB, and of course unrooted. The "old" SD card is a SanDisk and the new Samsung, both 32 GB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones