• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New version of Google Maps ?

Google Maps release notes - v3.21 said:
Version 3.2.1
Below is a list of new features, changes, and fixed issues for Google Maps for mobile available in version 3.2.1 for Symbian Series 60 and Windows Mobile devices.

New features

Places of interest: Selectable icons and labels on the map allow you to choose prominent businesses or places of interest in order to see business info, reviews, photos, Wikipedia articles, and a lot of other local information. To select an icon or label, use the 5-way pad or joystick to pan it to the center of the screen or tap it on touchscreen phones. Learn more about these icons and labels already available on maps.google.com.

Not seeing this on my Droid - businesses are highlighted and can long-press for address, and options to nav to, etc., but ono reviews, photos, wikipedia, etc.

Favorite Places (English only): Explore the favorite places of local experts from cities around the world. Find out where they like to go, and why, from their own perspectives. From the Maps main menu, go to 'Layers' > 'More Layers' > 'Favorite places.' You can also see these on your computer by going to Google Maps: Favorite Places.

Not showing up on my Droid after the update...no "Favorite Places" option in the Layers section.

Anyone seeing these on their Droid? Wondering if this is WinMo only features given the lead in:

nstalling
Install version 3.2 for Symbian Series 60 and Windows Mobile devices by going to Redirect in your mobile web browser. To ensure proper device detection, use your phone's original, native browser, such as Internet Explorer Mobile on Windows Mobile devices.

Upvote 0
The link seems to show the changelog for Symbian and Windows Mobile devices..not Android. This may be the reason we are not noticing the listed changes.
yes, but i think this might be because the update is for symbian and winmo. i could not find any other changelog that refer to android. and it seems as though the above posters that installed the update on droid don't see any difference, further indicating that this update may not apply to us.

or maybe that's exactly what you are saying. :)

Upvote 0
Well, since it is in the Android Market, it is definitely for us, and a newer version..

Now to see if anyone notices a change...

My thoughts exactly. When the Google folks tell me there's a compatible update to a newer version (3.2.0 to 3.2.1), I bite--whether the difference is perceptible or not.

It's just good housekeeping... especially when the dev is capable & trusted.

Upvote 0
Doesn't have to be illegal for them not to like it. They told cyanogen to c&d, plenty of people are still running his rom with the apk they forbade him from distributing with it.

rooting
Distributing a modified opensource os
Distributing google's NON-open source apps.

3 different things. First too are not illegal and apparenetly google couldn't care less about them. The last one IS illegal and from what I understand that was the beef that google had/has with cyanogen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones