• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Vibrant/Android User...

Upvote 0
It is on AT&T. Sorry, I thought I clarified that earlier.

I checked the network settings, and Use Only 2G Networks was not checked.

This is gonna suck if I can't get 3G to work. It's just strange that it worked when I first put my SIM card in and now I can't get 3G.
U definitely can get Att 3g on the vibrant. Do me a favor...do a battery pull and take out the sim...leave it out a min...put back. In. Go for a drive...maybe 3g signal is down in your area. Go like 15 min away...see if u get a 3g signal. Let us know

Upvote 0
U definitely can get Att 3g on the vibrant. Do me a favor...do a battery pull and take out the sim...leave it out a min...put back. In. Go for a drive...maybe 3g signal is down in your area. Go like 15 min away...see if u get a 3g signal. Let us know

I honestly JUST did that....I went to Taco Bell (where I know I had 3G service with my iPhone) and drove around the entire parking lot and it continued to get EDGE service.

It's just weird because I know for a fact it will work, it worked RIGHT when I first put my SIM card in.

Upvote 0
Looks like it has something to do with the 850 Mhz base band....basically because AT&T uses 850 Mhz base band for a lot of their 3G service, and the Vibrant is on 1900 Mhz or 2100 Mhz or whatever.

Looks like I got screwed.

:(

So let me get this right, at&t uses 850 and 1900, but mostly 850. the vibrant has 1900 but not 1850. so if you are in a at&t 1900 3g area you will get 3g on the vibrant, but if you are in an at&t 850 3g area you wont?
that sucks

well lets turn that frown, upside down. what about selling your vibrant or trading it with someone for a captivate. Better yet, are you in contract with at&t? if not you can get the following non contract pricing with t-mobile:
TALK TEXT AND UNLIMITED WEB NO contract required
Unlimited 79.99
1000 min 69.99
500 min 59.99

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/...ndividual&WT.z_unav=mst_shop_plans_individual
problem easily solved :)

Upvote 0
you can quickly see if you're rooted and if the lag fix has been applied by downloading the packaged RyanZA's One Click Lag Fix fromt he android market, the program runs checks to see if you're rooted and have the fix applied, and if so gives you the ability to undo them. word of caution, if you're not sure what the person who sold you the phone did to it, you may want to install a stock rom and go from scratch, no telling what was played with before it ended up in your hands

Upvote 0
you can quickly see if you're rooted and if the lag fix has been applied by downloading the packaged RyanZA's One Click Lag Fix fromt he android market, the program runs checks to see if you're rooted and have the fix applied, and if so gives you the ability to undo them. word of caution, if you're not sure what the person who sold you the phone did to it, you may want to install a stock rom and go from scratch, no telling what was played with before it ended up in your hands

I am not sure what you are talking about, but I think I am gonna go try and download that One Click Lag Fix from the market, and see what happens.

You are saying this will fix what problem?

And I cannot switch to T-Mobile...unfortunately! I am on a family line with AT&T and the parents are paying for it.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what you are talking about, but I think I am gonna go try and download that One Click Lag Fix from the market, and see what happens.

And I cannot switch to T-Mobile...unfortunately! I am on a family line with AT&T and the parents are paying for it.

1. Download and install the app

2. Run the app and click on UNDO ROOT

3. profit

4. ?

Upvote 0
The application I mentioned will let you unroot if you wish to do so. It's free on the android market if you can access the market.

I was mentioning flashing a stock rom because of the issues you are having, maybe starting from scratch is a good bet, think of it like reloading a computer after someone played with your registry and now things are wonky. But on further consideration, I don't know how that will help you, since you would probably have to unlock it again for at&t use. That I have no clue about, and research on that my friend lies in your hands, unless a more knowledgeable members cares to chime in.

Upvote 0

can you go into details and explain clearly why your vibrant isn't getting at&t 3g? is it because most att 3g signals are 850? that one time you saw your phone get 3g, was it by chance a 1900 singal?

Upvote 0
can you go into details and explain clearly why your vibrant isn't getting at&t 3g? is it because most att 3g signals are 850? that one time you saw your phone get 3g, was it by chance a 1900 singal?

Yeah, here's what someone on the XDA forum said:
AT&T runs on 850/1900/2100

if you use the Bell model i9000m it will get full 3G on both 850 + 1900

if you keep Tmobile model SGH-T959, it will only get 3G when you are on the 1900 band, since only uses 1700/1900/2100 which AT&T doesn't use any of the other 2 bands

that's why you only get 2G (EDGE) since 2G runs on 850/900/1800/1900

Looks like I gotta find someone to swap my Vibrant for a Captivate for me to get decent 3G experience.

And I am not sure what Mhz I was on when I first popped the SIM card in.

Upvote 0
Yeah, here's what someone on the XDA forum said:

Looks like I gotta find someone to swap my Vibrant for a Captivate for me to get decent 3G experience.

And I am not sure what Mhz I was on when I first popped the SIM card in.

I may have a solution that works for you, it may get you 3G. But its kinda complicated to go through all the steps on here, does androidforums support instanst messanging?

Upvote 0
the problem is the OP indicated that he/she is using the vibrant on at&t. The froyo OTA would be provided by t-mobile, since the poster has a at&t sim card, he/she would not recieve the OTA by t-mobile.

Wouldnt he just get it from AT&T? I mean i have no idea but assume that all carriers will use a OTA update system.

Upvote 0
Wouldnt he just get it from AT&T? I mean i have no idea but assume that all carriers will use a OTA update system.

I'm 99 percent certain the answer is no. At&t would not have t-mobiles OTA updates. Although the two phones are identical, At&t is not going to distribute updates for vibrant. Also At&t wouldn't even recognize the phone, I don't think At&t has a list of the vibrant imei's.

I may be wrong, but I see no reason why At&t should provide T-mobiles OTA updates. You also have to keep in mind, the phone is customized to each carrier. Meaning the vibrants android operating system has been optimized to be t-mobile exclusive. At&t captivate likewise.

Upvote 0
I'm 99 percent certain the answer is no. At&t would not have t-mobiles OTA updates. Although the two phones are identical, At&t is not going to distribute updates for vibrant. Also At&t wouldn't even recognize the phone, I don't think At&t has a list of the vibrant imei's.

I may be wrong, but I see no reason why At&t should provide T-mobiles OTA updates. You also have to keep in mind, the phone is customized to each carrier. Meaning the vibrants android operating system has been optimized to be t-mobile exclusive. At&t captivate likewise.

Id say your probably right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones