• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Zmax Pro Already in Some Stores

Masterchief87

Android Expert
May 27, 2014
South Florida
I saw yesterday that some MetroPCS retailers are already selling the zmax pro, and some people are already buying theirs. Just keep in mind that if you pre-registered you won't be able to get your free case (which comes in the mail 4-6 weeks later) unless you buy the phone between August 1st and August 15th. Sunday is the last day to pre-register for a free case, and Monday is the first day to buy your zmax pro if you want to take advantage of this offer. If you buy it before Monday, you will not be eligible for the free case according to the terms & conditions.

Yes I'm definitely loving the fingerprint sensor. I haven't used lock screen security in years because I hate having to type in a password every time I unlock the phone. Now I can have the best of both worlds and lock my phone down while still being able to unlock it quickly. It's not something I need but the fps is definitely nice to have.

Upvote 0
Awesome! How about some first impressions if you guys don't mind? How the screen quality and contrast? Is the interface nice and smooth so far? Thanks!

As someone who has owned both a 1st gen zmax and Stylo I can say that the pro looks and feels nicer than either one, the 32gb of storage is awesome, it comes with almost completely stock Android, and the screen is great. The biggest thing I've noticed is that with the brightness set to 50% I was able to read easily in direct sunlight and even more easily with the brightness all the way up. The battery is pretty good too so far considering that I got over 4hrs of screen on time with the screen brightness at 50% without charging at all. It definitely seems to get better battery life than the Stylo I used to have. Overall, I really like my new zmax pro with or without root.

Regarding the battery life I got, my phone came fully charged when I left the store with it but I believe the battery life will probably get better after a few charge/discharge cycles. I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
As someone who has owned both a 1st gen zmax and Stylo I can say that the pro looks and feels nicer than either one, the 32gb of storage is awesome, it comes with almost completely stock Android, and the screen is great. The biggest thing I've noticed is that with the brightness set to 50% I was able to read easily in direct sunlight and even more easily with the brightness all the way up. The battery is pretty good too so far considering that I got over 4hrs of screen on time with the screen brightness at 50% without charging at all. It definitely seems to get better battery life than the Stylo I used to have. Overall, I really like my new zmax pro with or without root.

Regarding the battery life I got, my phone came fully charged when I left the store with it but I believe the battery life will probably get better after a few charge/discharge cycles. I'll keep you posted.

Thats cool I saw a few early videos on the phone saying the screen brightness was very good. Glad to hear that's not the case

Upvote 0
Thats cool I saw a few early videos on the phone saying the screen brightness was very good. Glad to hear that's not the case

I assume you meant to say you heard the screen brightness wasn't very good? If that's what you meant, I heard the same thing. I believe though, that the people saying this are spoiled by the sceens on flagship devices like the galaxy s6 and s7 and other phones that have insanely high pixel density of 500 pixels per inch or higher. However, when you compare it to a device like the Stylo, Stylo 2, or original zmax that only has 258 pixels per inch it looks great by comparison.

Upvote 0
I assume you meant to say you heard the screen brightness wasn't very good? If that's what you meant, I heard the same thing. I believe though, that the people saying this are spoiled by the sceens on flagship devices like the galaxy s6 and s7 and other phones that have insanely high pixel density of 500 pixels per inch or higher. However, when you compare it to a device like the Stylo, Stylo 2, or original zmax that only has 258 pixels per inch it looks great by comparison.

Well no there are videos of the phone on YouTube has been for a week or two now. So I saw a few people saying the screen wasn't very bright

Upvote 0

Well no there are videos of the phone on YouTube has been for a week or two now. So I saw a few people saying the screen wasn't very bright

Lol you missed the point of what I was saying. I was pointing out that you said these videos said the screen brightness WAS very good but it looked like you meant to say WASN'T rather than WAS. See what I mean? Read your two posts that I quoted and you'll see that you contradicted yourself. That is what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
Lol you missed the point of what I was saying. I was pointing out that you said these videos said the screen brightness WAS very good but it looked like you meant to say WASN'T rather than WAS. See what I mean? Read your two posts that I quoted and you'll see that you contradicted yourself. That is what I'm talking about.

Yeah meant wasn't

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
More lunacy today @ corporate, unfortunately resellers hadn't received yet.
I entered, confirmed w/ manager new
Zmax available before signing in to wait behind 20 others / 3 manned stations.
Then finally got called:
I'd like to get the new phone.
What new phone?
The Zmax Pro.
We don't have it.
{I thought for a second another sign-up buy list with extended wait period was being enforced}
{me, while pointing to display model} The promotion has already started. Plus, your m-
Oh that one. We only just put it on display, we're not selling it yet.
Sweetheart, I asked your manager when I came in so I wouldn't waste all this time for nothing.
OK, I'll ask him.

Anywho, I was very fortunate that I caught the Mgr when I walked in - he's usually behind closed doors... in fact, he did not come out again the whole time I was there. The girl who sold me the phone is the only one stationed close to the door / sign-in sheet!
Even worse, she's been there for years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones