1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support newb to android phones and very broke

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drake53545, Mar 3, 2011.

1. drake53545

drake53545 Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    i just wanted to say hi and ask since im new to android and extremely poor hence going with cricket when i am about 430 miles from the closest cricket store i just wanted to see what you guys think i should do to my ascend and dont say return it cuz its already to late im screwed in that respect lol but i just wanted to see if it is really worth rooting since the "upgrade" is supposedly upon us soon and what apps would be worth downloading to speed up my ascend. oh and kudos to Jazziette you rock for your help with sorting out what is truth and just speculation on the supposed upgrade to 2.2 so thank you

Advertisement

2. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Female
    Esurance - Insurance Agent
    San Antonio, TX
    Just because we are all changing our phones to custom roms and rooting, It doesn't mean you have to. I'm not saying don't, I'm just saying to do what you feel comfortable with. Even if you do root it, Or modify it, There is always a way to restore it back to stock. Though I'd suggest to continue reading all our posts here in the Ascend category (That includes the all things root sub-category). That way you can get a feel of the phone, Plus you'll be able to make a fully informed decision on what you'd like to do.

As for apps to boost the speed, Once you are rooted you've got a couple to choose from. Just look for overclocking in the market. Rooting is the easy part, It's when things get deleted that problems occur. Just let us all know if you decide to take a step with us! We're all here to support each other. ^^.

3. drake53545

drake53545 Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    im probably gonna root it i just was wondering if i should wait or not and yeah ive been watching this forum for a couple months now but i didnt get registered till today im just not cognitive enough right now to try to root it right now lol and thank you as well Septembersrain for helping out with everything on here

4. Anduiril

Anduiril Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    Electronics Technician
    Orlando, FL
    First thing I want to say is that NO one here is going to tell you to return your phone. We're all happy with it. And most of us are probably broke or on a tight budget (which is why we only spent $100 for an Android, though there are a few who decided it was better to risk bricking a $100 phone before they get a "better" one) so don't worry about that either.

I'm with Septembersrain about it being up to you whether you want to root now or wait for the update. But if you want to get any real improvement you are going to need to root the phone because the apps to increase performance need SU (superuser aka root) access.

Personally I was planning on waiting for the update, but I've changed my mind. I'm going to be flashing to the Icarus ROM this weekend, which with my normal luck means that we'll get the Official update to FroYo the next day or two (if I wash my bike it rains within hours or a day at the most:eek:).

There are alot of people in this forum with knowledge and they are happy to help. I hope you enjoy your new phone as much as we do.:D

5. drake53545

drake53545 Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    i was wondering since it is runing on a linux distro do normal linux commands work on it when it is rooted?

6. Anduiril

Anduiril Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    Electronics Technician
    Orlando, FL
    Yes but only limited ones and you have to have the terminal emulator. There are a couple out there.

Added thought.. Huawei has the kernel available on their website if you want you check it out. I've got it on one of my work computers (linux) but haven't gotten the chance to go through it yet.

drake53545 likes this.
  7. drake53545

drake53545 Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    ill have to do that who knows maybe i can recode a few broken things on there

8. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Doesn't pay enough
    The Gate
    The best option out there for the Ascend (if you want everything working) is the Icarus 1.1 MOD, which fixes issues in the 1.0 release. It's markedly faster than stock, since a lot of unneeded apps are removed, it's rooted by default, includes a choice between the stock Canvas launcher or LauncherPro (which I much prefer), and gives you the ability to save apps to the SD card for apps that have that option built in. There are Froyo MODs out there, but all of them have problems that haven't been fixed yet, such as MMS not working, occasional UIM errors, etc.

I personally have Icarus 1.0 on mine and my wife's Ascends, and haven't had a complaint up until this point. If you're willing to undertake the process of installing a custom ROM, that's the route I recommend. Otherwise, stick with simply rooting the phone for now, play with it for a bit, and see what you think. I would recommend using something other than Canvas as your launcher though, as I was not impressed with it on my phone, and noticed a performance increase/smoothness when using LauncherPro even before I installed Icarus.

septembersrain likes this.
  9. drake53545

drake53545 Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    ill have to do a lil looking around on the os thanks you guys and if anyone else has anymore suggestions or help just post here i usually check back every hour or so

10. emeraldspyro

emeraldspyro Newbie
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Alot of people say bad things about Cricket, but I have had cricket for the past 10 years, i have never had a problem with them and i actually have better service than AT&T and Verizon at times. I bought the Huawei Ascend for X-mas and I love it. I am quite frequently going into the apps market and downloading free apps, they work just as well as the paid ones except they have a tiny tiny little ad at the top or bottom of the screen. Just play with the phone and enjoy it.