1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newb

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 01gtgirl, May 21, 2011.

1. 01gtgirl

01gtgirl Lurker

Have enjoyed reading many peoples posts. I come form having an older blackberry which I loved but was ready for something new. I have now had my inspire for around a week and it definitely takes some getting used to. :)

I have a couple of questions 1) is there anyway to take apps that you are not going to use off the phone? 2) I am finding it very annoying that when you are on the phone with someone and you get a message that the notification sound plays through and the other person can hear it as well. Is there a way to fix that? I also forgot to mention that I am computer illiterate.

Thanks and look forward to learning lots.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

1.) You would have to root to remove bloatware.

2.) If you were to use a 3rd party text app like handcent I know there are options to disable play sound or vibrate while on a call.

3. 01gtgirl

01gtgirl Lurker

Thank you and unfortunately I am so not smart phone and computer savy so what exactly is "root" and if I am correct is bloatware the apps that are on my phone.

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

Rooting your phone allows you access to certain functions/system files that the carrier/manufacturer blocks. The apps that come on the phone from the carrier whether its ATT or Verizon are referred to as bloatware. Rooting your phone would allow you access to remove them and change other aspects like the phone has 2.2 (with atts updating record who knows when 2.3 will be released) so with rooting you could flash a Rom to the phone that has 2.3 gingerbread instead of waiting for the carrier to release it. Rooting does void your warranty and if you needed to send the phone in for a replacement you would need to unroot it.

If you aren't phone or computer savvy I would hold off on rooting. You can check out the rooting section of this forum there is a lot of info there and many have rooted their inspire so they could maybe help you more on that end as I haven't completely decided if I'm going to root mine

kangarooant likes this.
  5. 01gtgirl

01gtgirl Lurker

Thank you very much.