• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NEWBIE ALERT - a few root questions...

I've an HTC Magic on Vodafone in the UK, it is running Android 1.6 as standard. I'm currently halfway throught an 18 month contract and find the phone quite laggy at times and nowhere near as smooth as my Girlfriend's iPhone 3GS. I've recently read with interest that Froyo 2.2 may be released on the Magic. A friend has recently bought an HTC Desire running 2.1 and it feels very smooth and gives the impression of being on a level playing field as the iPhone in the performance stakes.

While I await patiently for news of a release date of 2.2 for my device I have been looking into installing a third party ROM such as CyanogenMod 6 to improve perforance. However I do have a few questions, if I may...

Would a third party upgrade to CyanogenMod 6 give me a marked improvement in performance, as seen on the Desire?

Would I then be able to upgrade to an official release of Froyo 2.2 should it be made available for my device?

And finally, regarding the 'flashing' process. I've read that the first step is to unlock the device by acquiring the relevant code from Vodafone and then to root the device. Is the unlocking neccessary or does the rooting process take care of this inclusively?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones