• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie completely out of depth with notification alerts

mrodent

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

Have followed up most of the "similar thread" leads here. Many people seem to have the opposite prob to me.

I only bought a smartphone (Huawei Ascend Y300) because I wanted to have a sound alert (ideally one which repeats) when emails are received in the gmail account linked to the phone. I have a dedicated gmail account which basically only my clients know about... Increasingly they can't be bothered to phone, and just send out emails.

I have managed to get this working when the phone is switched on OK... (although no repeats and this looks unlikely to get set up).

The problem is when the phone goes into sleep mode. (or silent mode, or screen lock mode, I'm not sure what is what...). Then I do not get notifications, either for "Other" events or for incoming "Email" messages.

One thread I followed up here said to make sure that in Settings --> MObile Network settings it was important to have "Enable always-on mobile" ticked. It is ticked. Still I have the prob.

As a total floundering newbie I'm not clear how much the OSs of the different phones can depart from "acceptable practice". I'd be OK about buying another (cheap) smartphone of a different make if need be.

Please help!

PS as you might expect, when you ring the number when it is in screen lock/whatever mode the phone rings normally. Only the notifications are silenced...

Look for LightFlow in the Play Store. Try the free version first. Not a timed trial and has full functionality. The paid version gives you access to more types of alerts.

LightFlow can customize your alerts by sound, sound repeats, vibration, vibration repeats and light color (if your LED allows a variety of colors)

Each type of alert can be uniquely customized to repeat etc for different lengths of times, patterns, etc.

Basically, if I can see my phone, I know what it is alerting me about without having to touch it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
@gtbarry
Thanks... have now downloaded lightflow free version.
Initial messing around with it has now resulted in both an "Other" alert when I send an email to the gmail address... and later the "Email" notification (which is different alert sound) follows a couple of mins later.

I know nothing whatever about "push" technology... etc. I assume the "Other" alert happens more or less the instant the gmail inbox registers sthg happening. Meanwhile the "Email" notification only polls for any new messages every 5 mins (as configured by me).

All very strange... but a result at least ... so thanks!

Upvote 0
hmmmm...sounds like you may be doing the same thing I did when I first tried LightFlow - you may be getting double alerts.

After much trial, I did this as it seems to work best across most apps:
- do NOT turn off notifications on an app. In many cases it will shut down notification abilities for that app completely.
- instead, go into your gmail and for your sound notification set it to "silent"
- then go into LightFlow and have it make the sound for your gmail alerts - both the Sounds and Repeat Sounds (if you want repeat sounds that is)

As much as I love LightFlow, I cannot say that the first one or two days I knew exactly what I was doing in the set-up. It just wasn't intuitive to me. But once I got it, I got it. And how it works was completely logical.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones