1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

newbie - few questions cant find answers to

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jb1468, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jb1468

jb1468 Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Hi folks,

I am a newbie to smartphones, and have had my HTC desire for a week now. I am more than delighted with all aspects to date, especially the battery life as I read so many horror stories about it. I get between 30-48 hours depending on use and I am more than happy with that!

I have been reading the online manual, various forums (hundreds of posts) and reviews to get to know my phone and to get the best out of it. Over 90% of my original questions have been answered as a result of this research but I have a few final questions which I hope someone can help me with.

Re Syncing

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    only answering a couple.

1) Task killing - no need. forget about this.
    2) Cache -internal memory is limited. Some apps take up a lot of space. Clearing cache can reduce this. menu>Settings>applications>manage applications. Menu > sort by size. You can see the biggest offenders. if you need to, open the app in this menu will present you with a clear cache button.

3) WCDMA mode means "3G" only, so the draw back is, no 3G reception, no data at all. But yes, switching between 2G and 3G networks will use power.

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    Background data is a battery drain if you don't have auto sync on then the only time you'll need it is accessing the market. Task killing is a nono and only supported by the uneducated. There are programs like juice defender that can control certain sync states but if you have root you can use Tasker.

4. jb1468

jb1468 Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Ok thanks......2 things sorted for sure. A no no to task killing - makes sense and im glad to hear it again.

re cache clearing. Dont want to be doing it manually so have found a few apps that do it and appear to have good reviews. i use CCleaner on PC so like that they have a mobile app - will go down that way. Thanks

Oh and sorry - maybe shud have split these questions up. sorry if post too long

5. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Canada
    Regarding updating:

The market will occasionally notify you of updates for apps, but I usually make a point of opening the Market app and going under my apps at least once a day to check myself. If you have any updates waiting you can install them from there with ease.

6. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It is up to you: you can set each app to update automatically or you can do it manually yourself (handy, if you want to follow the changelog).

7. sare99

sare99 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxon, UK
    Do they? I just searched the market for it and can't locate that app. Can you point me in the right direction as I also use it on my PC and have done for years? I'm assuming you mean the programme by Piriform?

8. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You don't need to be rooted to use Tasker.

There is also a plugin called Synker which allows you to use Tasker to individually sync different accounts.

Tags: