1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Newbie help needed - international data roaming

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by montjeu, Sep 25, 2011.

1. montjeu

montjeu Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Hi there

Just need a little help. Planning to be in Paris next weekend. I'm on the one plan from three, but want to switch off data roaming on my SGS2 but DO want to connect to local wifi hotspots of which there are many in Paris.

My question is twofold:
    1. Will turning off the data network option at shutdown suffice in turning off data roaming completely, or do I have to turn off other options?
    2. Will doing that stop me using wi-fi?

Thanks for any help and sorry if this particular issue has been touched upon elsewhere.

Monty

Advertisement

2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    You are correct if that is what you mean by data network at shutdown. ie. hold power button until the menu appears and you can turn off "Data Network Mode" until it is 'deactivated'

This will still allow Wifi to operate as usual (you can test it out at home also!)

Note there is also settings that replicate this. In Settings, Wireless and Network, then the bottom option Mobile Networks presents you with a screen of options. Unselecting 'use packet data' has the same affect as the power button popup menu. However notice the next option 'data roaming' if this is not selected (by default) it should not transfer any mobile data while roaming. When you turn on the phone in your destination it will likely ask you what you want and it will change this setting.

Note your carrier also has the ability to block or allow data roaming or call roaming, so you should check with them before you leave on whether it's on or off (much cheaper than calling back from O/S!!). Data roaming can be up to 10x the cost of normal data plans.

3. motty

motty Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    I'm a noob as well and am going to the States in a week and want to know the same thing, but I'm struggling with the Data Network Mode because it doesn't seem to do anything.

I've got it disabled at the moment but can easily sync, download from the market, and surf the web (things not cached) etc. This is with wifi off and away from home so it is definitely using the mobile network. Does this option limit data to 2g rather than 3g?

I'm hoping the data roaming option will do the trick while abroad. Or do I need to go through changing all the options to turn off syncing etc?

4. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    mmm...In that case I'd be talking to your carrier, something is going on in the background.

5. montjeu

montjeu Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Thanks for the advice DaveSyd

In the event, because I didn't need to use the phone as 'a phone' while I was there, I simply solved the problem by removing the sim card (on Three's advice) and it was able to pick up wireless networks. I just used my old phone to make calls - you could always overcome this further I suppose by having a PAYG sim for the same network and have that loaded for foreign use.

The phone did not however try to connect to any data networks once I had disabled the settings for roaming and for packet data, so I think there may be something else you need to do Motty.

Thanks again for the help!
    Monty