1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Newbie help please! Which phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tonibat62, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tonibat62

tonibat62 Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi,

I am so much a newbie android user that I have not got one yet and there lies the problem.

Currently I have a Palm and a phone. My palm is on the way out and my phone is a dinosaur.

So I have decided to grasp technology by the throat! We tickle it anyway. I am not a social networking person and will not be surfing the web constantly. My most important requirements are a full contact database (including postal addresses notes etc not just email and mobile number) a calendar with various recurring apptmnts, a todo list and a coming up agenda type thing. Finally I want a phone which I can text on. Not too worried about email but it would be nice.

I would like about a 3.2 in touch screen and a landscape QWERTY keyboard (virtual or pull out) for entering in the calendar, todo and text messages. I also do not want the phone to keep using data transfer. I want the calendar on the phone but to sync it with either outlook or google occasionally but I MUST be able to use it offline and then just update the PC or net.

I have tried the HTC wildfire and it seemed OK until I could not use the landscape keyboard to enter appointments in the calendar! I have since looked at the Samsung Galaxy Apollo. Looked good and used landscape keyboard on the calendar except to use the calendar you had to log onto the internet!!!

Oh and I also want low budget as I am not going to use all the fancy whistles and bells that you are paying for!

I am tearing my hair out here! Does anyone know of a phone that has the very few items that I need but all on one phone?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

3. adi19956

adi19956 Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    College
    Hampshire, UK
    how about this? Motorola DROID PRO | Android Phone Fans 3.1" touchscreen, calendar, texting, QWERTY keyboard. What would help is if we knew roughly where you were and what network you want to go on, we can narrow it down for you then

4. tonibat62

tonibat62 Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi,

I am in Northampton UK. At the moment I am on PAYG and will probabaly stick with that which is why I do not want it to keep syncing. I need to be on Tmobile, orange or virgin as they are the only ones where I get singla at home. Ideally I want to get a PAYG from Carphone Warehouse as all their PATG handsets are unlocked so then I can find the right tarrif.

Thanks for the suggestion but, (picky I know) I really wanted a either a landscape virtual or a pull out keyboard. I do not really like then at the bottom of the phone.

thanks for your continued advice
    Toni

5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

The Droid/Droid 2 are pull out landscape qwerty keyboards. I don't know if they have them available for T-Mob or not, you might look to see if they the the Motorola Milestone (same phone, just for different carriers).

As for the features such as a calendar, contacts, etc... these aren't built into the phone per se. I mean many Android devices come with those apps already built into the skin (like Motorola's 'Blur', HTC's 'Sense', Samsung's 'Touchwiz', etc...), but you can download a plethora of apps to change them up, make them better, change them up. So it's not really important to find an Android that has these features built into it, because you can take any Android phone, and add those apps to it and get the same thing you would on any other Android.

So a phone like the Droid/Droid 2 or Milestone/Milestone 2 would be a fine device for you, IMO.

6. tonibat62

tonibat62 Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    thanks outlaw71.

Can I take it from a different angle then?

How do I know what calendar apps support landscape virtual qwerty keyboard? (I assume it is the app that allows this and not the phone?) The only reason I was going with the app installed on the phone is that I can test it!

Does anyone know if you can use the google calendar offline on the galaxy apollo as there seems to be some confusion with different people I talk to.

Once again thanks for input:)

7. adi19956

adi19956 Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    College
    Hampshire, UK
    Right, there's a reason you get signal from Orange, T-Mobile and Virgin, they're the same network. Incidentally you should be able to get signal from 3.
    Being on PAYG makes it quite complicated as there aren't many choices.
    However I think Device Detail
    and Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro Mobile Phone on Pay as you go - 179.99
    but if you want to pay more and like a plainer look try Device Detail
    If you want to spend a lot of money and don't mind Carphone Warehouse then the Milestone, as Outlaw said is your best bet Motorola Milestone - Pay As You Go - And Reviews - The Carphone Warehouse