• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie Here... A few questions... BE EASY ON ME!

djwindsor

Lurker
May 12, 2010
Hey Folks... I was researching the new HTC EVO and I am amazed at the capabilities of this new device. I currently am using an iPhone 3G and was contemplating getting the next gen iPhone when it comes out this June (no date yet but most probably the end of June). I am very neutral with respect to allegiance to one platform or another. I do not like Windows based smart phones as their OS is not as stable as I'd prefer.

I have NO problem with Sprint as my carrier because ATT has so many issues with call dropping (happens to me ALL the time). I've used Sprint all over the US and I have no idea why people knock the carrier. I think they're fine in the major cities.

Here are my concerns which I need some help with. I love the iPod interface my iPhone has and I have NO idea what type of interface there is in these Android phones.

Questions...

Will I be able to sync with iTunes or should I just sync with whatever software that Sprint offers?

Will I be able to migrate my music over to the HTC (no DRM on any of my songs)?

Are there kits available that let you hook up your HTC phone with your car stereo to play music (like iPod integration)?

Can I tether the HTC Evo to my laptop via bluetooth or USB?

These are my main concerns, other than that, I'm definitely sold. I really like Sprint's price plans. Very simple and straightforward and much less money than ATT. I am currently paying $101 (with tax) every month and I venture to guess I'll be saving around $20 overall per month which is a decent piece of change.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'll check back tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm have a lot to learn about this Android system!!!

1. Apple doesnt allow anyone to play with their itunes. So no syncing. but there are different methods of getting music on the phone.

2. I personally just drag and drop music onto my hero and will do the same for the EVO.

3.I dont think there are any official kits but u could get something that allows u to use the headset jack.

4.Yes u can tether it, there are apps in the market that allow this. Or pay sprint $30 a month and tether with their program built in.

BTW, welcome to the community and to Sprint.

Reactions: djwindsor
Upvote 0
To add to hookem's question, one thing I don't quite get is, how does an app like pdanet get away with circumventing Sprint's tethering charges? I mean, Sprint obviously knows how many gigabytes a person uses, so wouldn't it be simple to detect?

I'm also very curious about this. I would love to simply use an app, but I would hate to for it to backfire on me.

Upvote 0
To add to hookem's question, one thing I don't quite get is, how does an app like pdanet get away with circumventing Sprint's tethering charges? I mean, Sprint obviously knows how many gigabytes a person uses, so wouldn't it be simple to detect?

I just got off the phone with................ Just kidding!

I have heard that sprint overlooks the 5gig limit as long as it's not 3 months in a row. A while back during my Mafia Wars addiction phase I had no internet and tethered for a whole month, I had like 15 gigs of usage and I got no charge or nothing.
I am defiantly not saying it won't happen, but it's very rare. Do a google search on the topic, you won't find a lot of people that were hit with a charge.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, they will probably become adamant on third-party apps basically circumventing their 30 dollar charge, but what can they do to you?

I mean, seems they can only warn you, charge you more, or terminate your account entirely.
im not sure they will be able to do anything about it. Android is open source and therefore will eventually be hacked. when that happens, wifi tethering becomes painless and sprint just sees it as the phone using an app which requires 3g/4g

Upvote 0
Thanks for some of the replies. RE: PDANet... I was using that and also plain old tethering on my iPhone (a jail break tweak) and used upwards of 10gb per month and no issues from ATT. I think that these caps are put in place to keep people from hogging the bandwidth if they thought it was indeed unlimited. That's what's nice about Sprint's new 4G as there is no cap even if you revert to 3G. I wonder how long they'll be able to offer this?

Upvote 0
Regarding tethering - I really think only the Sprint app will allow you to tether for 4G, so if you want to get the 4G goodies you'll have to pay the scarily high fee.

Personally I'm going to try for a free tethering app (even if its reduced to 3G[which is all I have right now]) because I don't use it frequently. What tethering app? Hell if I know - I'll cross that bridge when I get there :D

Upvote 0
Regarding tethering - I really think only the Sprint app will allow you to tether for 4G, so if you want to get the 4G goodies you'll have to pay the scarily high fee.

Personally I'm going to try for a free tethering app (even if its reduced to 3G[which is all I have right now]) because I don't use it frequently. What tethering app? Hell if I know - I'll cross that bridge when I get there :D
Same here, except i do have 4g here, so I'll try to let people know if it works on 4g or not once i can try it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones