1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie/ Memory Management?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Enegue, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Enegue

Enegue Lurker

My tablet came with 1 GB RAM and 8 GB Flash with the ability to install micro SD up to 32 GB. I have installed 16 GB.
    I have only installed two apps and they have installed to the 8GB on board.

Will other apps automatically install to the 16 GB when the 8 is used up?

How do I use the SD card for things like pictures?
    Do I need a "file manager" to access the SD card?

I note a condition to install apps " Modify or delete contents of SD card."
    How do I know IF the app is going to delete what I have already on the card?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. roadkill42

roadkill42 Android Expert

there is settings to tellit to go to ur sd card fepends on the system and version of android ur using ur sd card should be listed as sd2 that's what mine is there is apps out there to make it easer and if u get it rooted u can do more just dive in u can't mess it up unless ur rooted hope this helps u some

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

What version of Android is installed on your tablet? You can find out by going to menu>settings>about phone.

With Android 4.1 or later the memory model changed somewhat to provide more space for apps. Out of the box, they will always install to your internal memory. There are tweaks to get apps to install and run from an SD card, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a specific need. Apps by default will never install to an external SD card if you have an internal /sdcard partition.

To copy files to your sd card, a file manager will come in very hands. ES File Explorer or Astro are both popular.

As far as your permissions go, those app permissions apply only to the app in question, so if you aren't instructing it to delete something, it won't do it on it's own. Having the ability to read, write and delete files from an SD card is a common permission for file managers or camera apps, but if you have concerns, just let us know what the app is and we can take a look for you.

4. Enegue

Enegue Lurker

lunatic,
    I am running Android 4.2
    Dl'd ES File Explorer and am going blind trying to figure it out ...
    At what point does the sd memory come in to play?
    Is it up to the individual "apps" to utilize it as they need it?
    Thanks

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Apps for the most part won't use the sd card at all. It is supposed to be for file and media storage.