• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie -moved to GB and needs help

bke74

Lurker
Jun 14, 2010
Hi - thought I would try and do the leaked upgrade to GB so I could install Netflix. Well, netflix doesn't work, and now I've go the issue with the contact sync not staying off, and it's draining my battery. I've never done any modifications to my phones before - and now I'm totally lost! Been reading posts for two days now, and don't know how to either fix my current issue, or get back to Froyo. I guess I'm just worried that I'll do more damage than I've already done. I'm also having issues with the phone recognizing the SD card - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - didn't have that issue before. I guess that's what I get for being impatient - as my husband says!

Can any of you wonderful guys (or girls) out there help? I'm looking for really "dumbed" down instructions! :)

Thanks!!
~Bethanie

To me it sounds as tho the flash might have gone bad somewhere. I have flashed my DX so many times in the 2 weeks I've owned its not funny lol. But there are a few things you can try. You can try a factory reset, that will clear all data and cache. If its a bad setting that should fix it. If its a bad flash, well just open up D2 bootstrap n boot into recovery and then reflash the GB zip you have again.

Reactions: bke74
Upvote 0
thanks! Will the factory reset take it back to Froyo? So it would be like starting all over again? I've moved all my apps to my SD card - when it's working - so they should be fine, correct? I've read about the D2 bootstrap - is there a place you recommend downloading it from?
thanks again!!

Upvote 0
thanks! Will the factory reset take it back to Froyo? So it would be like starting all over again? I've moved all my apps to my SD card - when it's working - so they should be fine, correct? I've read about the D2 bootstrap - is there a place you recommend downloading it from?
thanks again!!
no it wont take it back to froyo w/o sbf'ing with rsdlite. It will just wipe your data on the phone and should startup like when u first flashed .595.

You should have d2 bootstrap already but it can be gotten from the market, think its $2.

Upvote 0
With the apps on the SD card and not clearing cache/data you will have issues. Not clearing cache/data will make the sync icon stay on and having apps on the SD card will drain the battery depending on the app. Made both of these mistakes myself. the internal memory on the device is large enough to store a ton of apps, so its not really necessary to put them on SD, a backup using Titanium is good enough to keep your data in line on the SD, but the apps will run much faster on device memory. There was also an issue with random reboots due to having the apps on SD and plugging in to a USB on the computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones