1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gaz77, Nov 27, 2011.

1. gaz77

gaz77 Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    househusband
    hi i need some info to help me choose i am looking to buy 2 tablets for my kids so i can have my laptop back!i have found a tablet with2.3 on it my question his can i upgrade at a later date to a higher version?and regarding the tablet (flypad 3)can i do the same with the flash memory ?i have been told that not all web sites will load on these units can anybody help the sales guys just want to sell me it.please ,thanks gaz

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hello Gaz,

Welcome onboard. I have a HTC EVO phone, and I'm able to load every website I've ever visited, so I don't see why tablets would have any problem doing so. Tablets and phones are the newer more convenient devices nowadays. Easier to carry around and easy access to the internet. If the manufacture doesn't update the device to the latest version of Android, chances are..a developer will find ways of making this possible(Its called rooting). You have certainly come to the right place for "tips & tricks" to optimize your device.

You should do a thorough background check on any device before purchasing. Best of luck to you.

Enjoy the forum. And thanks for joining. :)

gaz77 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

You are taking a risk when you buy unbranded import devices. Some say the FlyPad3 is the same as the Gome Flytouch II, but i have seen to many have issues trying to treat it as an exact model match. You're ability to take it to HoneyComb (3.x) or Ice Cream Sandwich (4.x) will most likely rest entirely on the shoulders of the mod community. I would seriously doubt the manufacturer (assuming you can identify them) would put out an update to a new version.
    What the sales person may be referring to is the compatibility of the device with Flash Player. If it doesn't have the proper processor or resolution, you may not be able to get the player from the market, thus limiting some content on the pad. Again, there may be a workaround, which you may want to ask about in General Tablet Talk - Android Forums.

As far as the flash memory, if it's got an external MicroSD card slot, you can go up to 32GB, should be plenty. Be advised that it only adds storage for data and not apps.

gaz77 likes this.
  4. gaz77

gaz77 Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    househusband
    hi thank you for your reply.i have asked 3 different sellers the same question and had 3 different anwsers.i asked if i buy my two kids these tablets can they use them to do their homework and access web sites that the school gives them ie sumdog,education city and mathletics.can you help ?many thanks

5. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    It's hard to day definitively without actually having a login to those sites and knowing what each browser has enabled. Many websites look at the User Agent to see if it is a mobile or desktop browser and require plugins to login successfully. Many times a secure website will fail with default settings, but if you try a different browser and change the User Agent to desktop, it will work. Once you have the tablets, we can help you with that.

gaz77 likes this.
  6. gaz77

gaz77 Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    househusband
    i am still trying to make up my mind cant choose between these two

8 Inch Tablet PC, Android 2.3, A820 Epad S5PV210 or
    10.2" Android 2.3 1Ghz Tablet PC/ePad/aPad/eReader SuperPad 3
    if you have any veiws i would be happy for a reply on these tablets.

7. gaz77

gaz77 Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    househusband
    can anybody help!me decided
    i am still trying to make up my mind, cant choose between these two

8 Inch Tablet PC, Android 2.3, A820 Epad S5PV210 or
    10.2" Android 2.3 1Ghz Tablet PC/ePad/aPad/eReader SuperPad 3
    if you have any views i would be happy for a reply on these tablets.

8. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    One of the deciding factors should be your kids, since that's who you said are the intended users. If they are going to be used primarily for games and surfing, I'd go with the larger screens. More screen real estate will be a big plus, especially if you are going to surf full websites instead of the mobile friendly websites. If it is going to be primarily an eReader, then the smaller ones might be better suited. You'd be surprised how heavy a 10" tablet can get after even only 20 minutes of holding it in one position.

There may be subtle differences in configuration that make one better than the other, but without actually getting my hands on them, I can't really say one way or the other.

Now, if your kids are close in age and they haven't specifically stated that one wants a bigger screen and one wants a smaller one, buy them the same thing. And if they are between the ages of 12 and 16, it really doesn't matter what you choose because you'll choose the wrong one ;)

Good luck with your decision.

gaz77 likes this.